HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > VegasJ's coffin Keezer build, yes another one on HBT!

Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
VegasJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
Oh, that should look great. Is it just me or my monitor or do you have Dr Seuss assisting you with that build? I do not like green beer and ham. I do not like them Sam I Am.
the left side is sitting on the tile, and the whole thing is on an angle. I'm using my burner as a workbench cause I ran out of room for stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Damn, looks like an 80lb lid
yea... hope not too bad. I might need to find a mini garage spring or something to assist the freezer hinges.

Or some gas shocks on the inside!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
VegasJ
Recipes 

all fitted & stained... which is bugging me waiting for it to dry.

Good news is, faucets & tap parts should be here tomorrow, I'm guessing the stain will be dry tomorrow night.Then, tile & pour!

Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 88

That is looking good. I started on mine today.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #14
VegasJ
Recipes 

ok, slowly but surely... that damn "w" word (work) keeps getting in my way.

All ready for tile now, lid is mounted, lights ran, faucets installed

I would have done a lot different if I had to do it over... like have more tools.

All of this was done with a Ryobi 18v cordless drill & a Ryobi 18v cordless 5 1/2" circular saw. Oh, and a hammer. no clamps, table saw, jig saw, noth'n.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
Lord_Towers
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

nice! keep up the stellar work

Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
VegasJ
Recipes 

Tile is on but not grouted yet. I'll be doing that in the morning!

Got lucky at West Penn Laco today. I swear last time I was in there the manager told me they had 5# beergas (75/25 mix) & 20#. I drove 40 minutes to find out they have 20# & 80 or larger for bars...

I was pissed, started thinking in my head how I can just go with a 20# now, exchange that for a custom 5# when the 20 is gone... yadda, yadda...

The manager says, " hold a sec, let me go look in the back" and he comes back with a 10# beergas mix someone custom ordered 4 months ago but never came back to get. So he rang me up for a 5# mix & gave me the 10# tank!

Only catch, when I return the 10# tank he'll have a 5#er for me next time... sweet! Glad I took him a 6 pack of brew to butter him up a little.

Anyways... Keezer's 95% done, just have grouting to do as I said in the morning.

Here's a little video I took of the Milk Stout 1st pour after I got the 10# tank home and in! YUM!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #17
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nice! That beer sure was pretty. Congrats.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #18
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Hey Vegas,
Quick question: How did you cut holes in the freezer top? I thought a jigsaw would be the easiest way, but I may be overlooking something much easier and obvious.

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
VegasJ
Recipes 

I'm not using the freezer lid. I made one out of 1/2" plywood & made a 2x4 on edge frame the same size of the lid.

I put 1" thick foam/rubber weather stripping around the 2x4 edge on the box frame that seals the new "lid" when closed & lined inside the 2x4 frame with 1/2" insulating foam, then I mounted the plywood covered 2x4 frame to the chest freezer bottom using the hinges that were on the lid.

Did this for a few reasons...

1) if I even need to return the chest freezer to a chest freezer the original lid is still in stock form &
2) if the chest freezer dies, all I need to do is unscrew the hinges on the wooden 'lid' and place it over a new chest freezer without having to modify a new freezer lid.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ah okay. I took the day off and planned to build my lid and surround today/tomorrow. That freezer has been sitting in my garage still in it's box for a month now.

-Ernest Hemingway