Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > HUUUGE Starter!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herky21 View Post
Yes, but for many brewers this raises the concern of where to put the infection-risk wort that isn't fermenting for a day. Another plastic fermenter is cheap, sure, but I think there are some other added risk factors you would be getting into by using this method.
I completely agree with you. I have had good luck (knock on wood) keeping the extra wort in my pressure canner which also doubles as my boil kettle. The seal is air tight if I block the vent. Because it is sealed when the wort is still hot, as done with the no-chill method, there is a low chance of infection.

Using a secound ale pail would be more risky as there is a much larger air space which could contain wild yeast or bacteria. Also the wort would need to be chilled before adding to the pail.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
marc06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brew a helles and use the yeast cake to pitch into the maibock.Thats what I do to get enough yeast for a 10 gallon batch of maibock.