Making a glass carboy shatterproof? - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Making a glass carboy shatterproof?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #111
iambeer
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Wash, DC
Posts: 1,236
Liked 161 Times on 124 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
The OP asked about glass carboys.
Not only was the question 'axed' rhetorical but it was as well or better a tautologous display of the compleat mastery of teh perverse.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #112
pwkblue
 
pwkblue's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Sandy, Utah
Posts: 185
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts


remind me....just WHY the mods deleted several posts in this thread that were ON TOPIC, but taking things in a logical direction (although that horse is long dead)....and now we get a bunch of sophmoric Monty Python references...


get over it people it was 40 years ago...since then we have these things called PC's, and plastics have evolved...instead of trying to spend another $20 bucks to pad an inherently breakable object...buy a Better Bottle if you are worried about being safe. If you prefer glass...live with the risk.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #113
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 25,880
Liked 6709 Times on 3964 Posts


I'm thinking something in regard to the direction of this thread, but I'll keep it to myself. For now. But if one more person says tautalogous, I'm going off.
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #114
iambeer
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Wash, DC
Posts: 1,236
Liked 161 Times on 124 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I'm thinking something in regard to the direction of this thread, but I'll keep it to myself. For now. But if one more person says tautalogous, I'm going off.
emmm.. epoxy the ****? is that for reals/better? encase the glass in molten lava an allow 24 hour hardening.

put the carboy through ninja school....


are you serious


the whole thing is a joke, so better to enjoy the craziness... that is what the title of the post attracts.

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #115
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 25,880
Liked 6709 Times on 3964 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
emmm.. epoxy the ****? is that for reals/better? encase the glass in molten lava an allow 24 hour hardening.

put the carboy through ninja school....


are you serious


the whole thing is a joke, so better to enjoy the craziness... that is what the title of the post attracts.
I really liked my idea of encasing the glass carboy in a split Better Bottle. If I hadn't given away all my glass carboys, I'd do it and document it for posterity.

Craziness? Well well, that's a requisite quality if you are going to be part of this hysteria. Nothing surprises me from you fools. Fools like me.
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #116
mikescooling
 
mikescooling's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,988
Liked 266 Times on 201 Posts


I'm the OP and this thread is tautalogous. I liked the idea of a carboy/R2D2 that was remote controlled. It would be safe and fun. Lots of good info keep it coming..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #117
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikescooling View Post
I'm the OP and this thread is tautalogous. I liked the idea of a carboy/R2D2 that was remote controlled. It would be safe and fun. Lots of good info keep it coming..
Now you're using them there $10 words...
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkblue View Post
remind me....just WHY the mods deleted several posts in this thread that were ON TOPIC, but taking things in a logical direction (although that horse is long dead)....and now we get a bunch of sophmoric Monty Python references...
If you really are interested in a discussion of the relative merits of glass carboys v. better bottles v. buckets v. conicals v. corny kegs as fermentation vessels, there are lots of threads about that, or start a new thread on that topic.

I deleted the posts because they were off topic. If someone asks about how to bottle, telling them to keg is not on topic. If someone asks about where to find organic ingredients, arguing with them about the value of organic brewing is off topic. If someone asks how to use glass carboys safely, telling them not to use glass carboys repeatedly is off topic.

More importantly, its obnoxious. When members are obnoxious, their posts get reported and moderators are obliged to come take look and respond. General rule - don't be obnoxious.

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #119
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,205
Liked 1660 Times on 1073 Posts


I use a few glass carboys because you can't get a 6.5 gallon better bottle. Every once in a while a large vendor will tease us with stories of a 7 gallon PET bottle with a 4-5" wide mouth and then they find out the mold setup cost is in the five digits and....

I think I'm at minimum, putting a thick coat of plastidip on the bottom makes sense for avoiding chipping the glass on concrete floors unless you take the practical route of using milk crates and NEVER taking them out.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
BIAB Large Mesh False Bottoms and SS HERMS COILS are IN!!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #120
cheezydemon3
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
louisville
Posts: 12,961
Liked 1671 Times on 1251 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I use a few glass carboys because you can't get a 6.5 gallon better bottle. Every once in a while a large vendor will tease us with stories of a 7 gallon PET bottle with a 4-5" wide mouth and then they find out the mold setup cost is in the five digits and....

I think I'm at minimum, putting a thick coat of plastidip on the bottom makes sense for avoiding chipping the glass on concrete floors unless you take the practical route of using milk crates and NEVER taking them out.
Ale Pail 6.5 gallons sir.

One method of Egg breakability avoidance, is to suspend the egg in a box in a bag of pantyhose or other flexible material.

It would be a huge box, but perhaps some non static material that was strong enough would hold a full carboy but keep it from contacting the sides of the box it is in.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4 - 5 Gal Glass Carboy and 1 - 6 Gal Glass Carboy For Sale! Greene729 For Sale 10 04-18-2012 11:02 PM
Better Bottle CarBoy (plastic) or Glass CarBoy???? JBrooks General Beer Discussion 10 01-06-2012 03:20 AM
glass carboy VS plastic carboy.. which to chose? 802VermontHomebrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 05-10-2010 01:24 AM
Cheers! New shatterproof pint glass. AnthonyD General Beer Discussion 20 02-05-2010 07:20 PM
Reuse a glass carboy after making a lambic celtic_dude Lambic & Wild Brewing 8 02-06-2009 10:09 PM


Forum Jump