Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Give up on stuck lager ferment?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
mtbaesl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 62
Default Give up on stuck lager ferment?

So, I brewed up my first ever lager, a Munich Dunkel. O.G. was 1.055, yeast was WLP833, I used an appropriate sized starter, and oxygenated with pure O2 for about 30 seconds (in retrospect not enough?). I did also use some yeast nutrient at the end of the boil. I pitched at 45F, left it there for 24 hrs, then raised it to 50F. Ferment took off after I raised it to 50F. Then, no airlock activity after 7-8 days, left it for 3 weeks. Figured it was done, so transferred to secondary and found my S.G = 1.021 (target 1.016). So I then brought the temp up to 60F, added yeast nutrient and energizer and left it for 5 days. No change in gravity, pitched some dry yeast onto it, still no change. I figure I am screwed and I should just begin to lager. Would you guys agree at this point? Not really sure what went wrong for future efforts, the only thing I can think of is maybe should have oxygenated more? Thoughts?

Also, do I need to transfer off of the new yeast that I pitched. I know you want to get it off the spent yeast before I lager for 6-8 weeks, which I did inititally before I added more yeast that didn't do crap. So, do I lager now, or transfer to tertiary and then lager?

Thanks
Mark


mtbaesl is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,440
Liked 6053 Times on 4313 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbaesl View Post
So, I brewed up my first ever lager, a Munich Dunkel. O.G. was 1.055, yeast was WLP833, I used an appropriate sized starter, and oxygenated with pure O2 for about 30 seconds (in retrospect not enough?). I did also use some yeast nutrient at the end of the boil. I pitched at 45F, left it there for 24 hrs, then raised it to 50F. Ferment took off after I raised it to 50F. Then, no airlock activity after 7-8 days, left it for 3 weeks. Figured it was done, so transferred to secondary and found my S.G = 1.021 (target 1.016). So I then brought the temp up to 60F, added yeast nutrient and energizer and left it for 5 days. No change in gravity, pitched some dry yeast onto it, still no change. I figure I am screwed and I should just begin to lager. Would you guys agree at this point? Not really sure what went wrong for future efforts, the only thing I can think of is maybe should have oxygenated more? Thoughts?

Also, do I need to transfer off of the new yeast that I pitched. I know you want to get it off the spent yeast before I lager for 6-8 weeks, which I did inititally before I added more yeast that didn't do crap. So, do I lager now, or transfer to tertiary and then lager?

Thanks
Mark
I assume you used a hydrometer (and not a refractometer)? I'd do the diacetyl rest warmer, if you can- try bringing it up to 68 degrees and let it sit for 48 hours. No need for more yeast- it could be done if you have a recipe with quite a few crystal malts (especially dark crystal) or if you mashed at a higher mash temp (over 154 degrees or so).

What was the recipe and the mash temp?


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
mtbaesl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 62
Default

Yeah, I did use a hydrometer. The recipe was 97% german munich, 3% carafa special 2. Target mash was 154F, but it hit 155F and I just left it there. I can bring it up to 68F easily with the fermwrap, so I guess I'll give it a shot.

Thanks Yooper!
mtbaesl is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,440
Liked 6053 Times on 4313 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbaesl View Post
Yeah, I did use a hydrometer. The recipe was 97% german munich, 3% carafa special 2. Target mash was 154F, but it hit 155F and I just left it there. I can bring it up to 68F easily with the fermwrap, so I guess I'll give it a shot.

Thanks Yooper!
I'd guess that 155 as a mash temp means lots of unfermentables, and a FG of 1.021 or so isn't too terrible. Try the 68 degree diacetyl rest, as it may give you a few more points, and then rack and go ahead with lagering. If it doesn't drop anymore, then it's done so lagering would be the next step after the racking.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #5
mtbaesl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 62
Default

So you would rack again then (to tertiary)? Get it off as much of the yeast as possible?
mtbaesl is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 554
Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

Does it taste sweet? If not, forget the gravity...
FlyDoctor is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,440
Liked 6053 Times on 4313 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbaesl View Post
So you would rack again then (to tertiary)? Get it off as much of the yeast as possible?
Yes, definitely. See if it drops more (or not) then rack and get ready for lagering.

First, I would never rack before a diacetyl rest anyway, especially if you weren't at FG, but since it's been racked there is nothing else to do except rack and lager.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
crushingblackdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 177
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Sorry for yet another "Stuck Ferment/First Lager" thread highjacking, but, I have a similar stuck lager primary right now.
It's been holding at 1.022 for 2 wks, 60*F.
OG was 1.055,
6# Munich,
4# Rauch,
1# Vienna
12 oz CaraMunich
mashed @ 154-155*F/90mins
OG : 1.055

I initially began fermentation at 65*F/ 12 hrs, then 52*F/ 10 days, after my first SG of 1.025, I brought it inside to D-rest at 60*F. That was 2 wks ago with no action, no drop in gravity. I've roused the yeast and considered using Alpha Emylase(?), but would rather not mess with it any more. The taste is nice. No DMS, no butter no veg. Not sweet, but the smoke is kinda absent. Strange considering how much Rauch malt is in the bill. I should also mention I dumped this brew right on top of a successful lager brew yeast cake of S23 just previous, but added another packet as well.
Thoughts on this brew, HBTers? Should I go ahead and keg/lager this badride? Be gentle, folks, tis only my 2nd lager, and 1st stuck ferment... Thanx all! Love this forum!!!!
crushingblackdoom is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,440
Liked 6053 Times on 4313 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Default

It really sounds done. I don't think it'll budge any lower, so if you can stand it a little sweet, I'd keg it and lager it and call it finished.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #10
crushingblackdoom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 177
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
It really sounds done. I don't think it'll budge any lower, so if you can stand it a little sweet, I'd keg it and lager it and call it finished.
Thanx Yoop. It's just a little on the sweet side. Prolly not half bad once its aged, carbed and cold. I'm gonna keg it and try to forget about it for the winter. Any ideas where the smoke went?


crushingblackdoom is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another stuck lager ferment kj23 Fermentation & Yeast 9 08-18-2012 05:46 AM
Lager yeast to fix a stuck ferment aryoung1980 Fermentation & Yeast 6 05-07-2012 12:54 PM
Stuck Ferment on lager ! karljrberno Fermentation & Yeast 5 05-18-2011 12:17 PM
lager or ale yeast? give your opinion defenestrate Fermentation & Yeast 2 01-25-2010 05:38 AM
stuck ferment? extexan Fermentation & Yeast 1 08-20-2009 11:38 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS