Well I decided to go with the Montrachet yeast for this batch since I've had really good results so far with this strain. Planning to do a 1 gallon batch with the D47 to see if it's worth scaling up in the future. Overall though, it came out exactly as I had hoped. The 6 pounds of honey I cooked until it was a nice red amber color, and it still retained some of the aromatics of the original honey. The 2 pounds I toasted until small puffs of smoke popped out from the bubbles as it boiled and it retained zero amount of what the original honey used to smell or taste like. Total burnt marshmallow flavor and smell. Once I mixed these with the 10 pounds of raw honey, it turned a nice copper color with a toasted caramel flavor and all of the aromatics of the original honey. I have high hopes for this batch and I think the meadowfoam honey will make the final product outstanding. Here's the specs:
18 pounds of honey (10 pounds raw meadowfoam, 6 pounds cooked to red/amber color, 2 pounds cooked to black)
25g Montrachet yeast
2 tsp Fermaid K
Aerated for 30 minutes
Estimated Alc % will be 12%-14%.
2 pounds of honey on the left, 6 pounds on the right.
Drip test for each. Glad I did this, as I overlooked the fact the honey would caramelize at a much faster rate than when I did a whole 18 pounds last year.
Hydro sample at 75 degrees. Yeast pitched at 70 degrees.
Comparison next to the blackberry honey bochet from last December that I'm currently oaking.
Now I'm off to make another batch of orange blossom mead for next year while I pop a bottle of last year's batch.