Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > No blow off hose crap everywhere

Old 11-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Brew_Bear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default No blow off hose crap everywhere

Hi all!

I just brewed my second batch yesterday, my first being a German hef in which I got the recipe from a local brew store. The hef recipe stated to put a blow off hose due to high yeast activity,which I did. But the amber ale that I'm currently brewing did not, so I didn't. Two days after fermentation began there is literally crap everywhere..all over the airlock and around the better bottle. How do I fix this? Leave it or clean it? Change the airlock to a new one? It almost seems pointless to attach the hose now. Thanks in advance! Still a noob!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Clean it and replace or add the hose. Always use a blow off if you can.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1655 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

New airlock, no rinse sanitizer wiped over evrything. No problem!

I now control fermentation temps closely and NEVER need a blowoff.

Consider a swamp cooler and chilling the wort WAY down.

I haven't used a blowoff in 3-4 years. Slow and LOW fermentation is where its at.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 329

always use a blowoff hose. better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.

if the craziness inside your fermenter has died down, i would recommend taking off the dirty airlock, putting some sanitized foil over the opening (to prevent dust from falling in, cleaning the airlock and the stopper/bung, sanitize and replace. if you have a second airlock, then prep it and simply swap out the old one.

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...

Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Brew_Bear
Recipes 

Thank you all!

I have one more question about my first German hef batch. I left it fermenting for 3 weeks, then racked and bottled and let condition for 2 weeks. When using the priming sugar, I added it into the bucket when it was all syrupy and by the time I. Had racked my beer in there it was almost solid..I tried mixing it but was only able to get a small portion of the sugar mixed with the beer. 2 weeks later there was absolutely NO carbonation..I assume that was the problem but I just want to be sure. Bottles conditioned at 71 degrees and where left refridgerated for 2 days before I had opened one. Really disappointing, any way to salvage it?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
FermentedTed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Never tried it myself, but maybe picking up some of the priming sugar tablets that you just add to the bottle? Pop the cap, drop one in, and re-cap...

Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentedTed View Post
Never tried it myself, but maybe picking up some of the priming sugar tablets that you just add to the bottle? Pop the cap, drop one in, and re-cap...
Thats what i would try. Did you boil the priming sugar ? I just use a clean measure cup with 2 cups of water. Mix the sugar in with a fork and heat it in the microwave untill its clear. I pour the sugar in the bucket first then rack on to it.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Brew_Bear
Recipes 

Yes we boiled according to the instructions sheet..I even called the brew store and asked the guy if what happened sounded right and he said yes. It just looked like a dark brown solid glassy substance and smelled like creme brle, that's the only way I know how to describe it haha. The instructions said let the mixture cool for 5 minutes but by the time we did that it was solid

Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
gcdowd
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Pics or it didn't happen

Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
cluckk
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I use a blow off hose for everything unless it is a very small batch (for instance a 3 gallon batch started in a 6 gallon carboy). After the Kraeusen falls I switch to an airlock.