Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Peat Smoked Malt?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here is a link to the thread I made when I was building my peated porter:

While it is good to take advice, I agree with the OP, you are never going to push the boundaries if you sort in other people's comfort zones.

My porter turned out great, and I wouldn't change a single thing about it.

I would say that you may want to make this a bigger beer, with some other lighter notes to it. Maybe bump up the honey malt... Also I dont think the cinnamon stick is going to have much of a chance compared to the peat flavor, but I could be wrong... It could he wonderful.

other than that I think it looks pretty good for a 4 gallon batch.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #22
Liked 503 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Originally Posted by JoCoPoboy View Post
Well here's the recipie

2# 2 row
1# honey malt
1# flaked oats
1# crystal 60
1#peat smoked

1oz Mt hood at 60mins

Cinnamon sticks at flame put
And maybe some brown sugar
It this is a 4 gallon batch, OG will be around 1.040/1.045. Probably a lot lower than your target.

Peat malt flavor varies depending on how old the malt is. With fresh malt, 4 ozs in 5 gallons will give you a nice smoked flavor. Ever drink Stone Smoked Porter? 4 ozs fresh peated malt in 5 gallons will give you that much smoke. A lot of people will be turned off by more than that.

I also think 1 lb Honey malt is way too much. I'm not a fan of the malt, leaves the beer tasting way too sweet for me.

It is your beer, you are the one who will have to drink it. I think you are going to spend a lot of time making a beer that you will find difficult to drink. Good luck.

If you do end up making it, please post back with results. It will be interesting to find out how it turns out.
JoCoPoboy Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #23
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I do appreciate all the time and advice you guys gave found out today regardless of my choice all the grain has been bagged together so i guess i will have to bite the bullet on this one!