Unusual fermentation (no I'm not worried) - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Unusual fermentation (no I'm not worried)
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
THart
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
MN
Posts: 64


I've been homebrewing for 17 years & I can't remember this ever happening. & it's with a yeast I'm using for the first time so I'm not sure if it could be a characteristic of the yeast. Wyeast 1332, Northwest. When I did a started I noticed it didn't kraeusen much even though obviously active. This seemed to be the case after pitching too.Fermentation started up right on schedule & continued at at staedy pace for a few days. Started to drop off after 5 or so, was quite slow at a week. Then at day eight I noticed the airlock filled with sludge. It had subsided but obviously some sort of vigorous fermentation had kicked in at about a week. Very odd. I had moved the bucket but I've done this many times before without having this happen. Actually, I do think I remember something like this happening the one time I tried my one & only little batch of apple cider. Anyone else ever have this happen?


__________________
The piano has been drinking
my necktie is asleep
The combo's gone back to New York and
the jukebox has to take a leak
Tom Waits

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
THart
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
MN
Posts: 64

Well, the same thing has happened the next two times I used this yeast. After about a week of fermenting a sudden surge of fermentation. Very odd, very odd


__________________
The piano has been drinking
my necktie is asleep
The combo's gone back to New York and
the jukebox has to take a leak
Tom Waits

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 507 Times on 469 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by THart
I've been homebrewing for 17 years & I can't remember this ever happening. & it's with a yeast I'm using for the first time so I'm not sure if it could be a characteristic of the yeast. Wyeast 1332, Northwest. When I did a started I noticed it didn't kraeusen much even though obviously active. This seemed to be the case after pitching too.Fermentation started up right on schedule & continued at at staedy pace for a few days. Started to drop off after 5 or so, was quite slow at a week. Then at day eight I noticed the airlock filled with sludge. It had subsided but obviously some sort of vigorous fermentation had kicked in at about a week. Very odd. I had moved the bucket but I've done this many times before without having this happen. Actually, I do think I remember something like this happening the one time I tried my one & only little batch of apple cider. Anyone else ever have this happen?
Moving the vessel could have released a lot of pent up CO2 causing the airlock the get clogged, it happens as well as temp or pressure changes.

Check the gravity and see where it's at
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #4
THart
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
MN
Posts: 64

I don't think so. I didn't move it the next two times. It seems to me to be unique to this yeast strain. Have you used it?
__________________
The piano has been drinking
my necktie is asleep
The combo's gone back to New York and
the jukebox has to take a leak
Tom Waits

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 507 Times on 469 Posts


Never used it. Just going on my general observations with fermentations in general. I'm wondering if at the time you are noticing this it is corresponding with the krausen dropping at the same time. This process can push CO2 up and out when all things otherwise were normal, just a thought as I've observed this on occasion.

Like I said before, take a gravity reading and see where the beer is at, i'm sure it's fine
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Stevo2569
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
C-VILLE, Tn
Posts: 1,264
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman
Like I said before, take a gravity reading and see where the beer is at, i'm sure it's fine
Being a 17 veteran brewer I'm sure he knows about gravity readings.

Only thing I can think of given that you didn't move,raise temp,etc is that there had been some kind of secondary cell growth spike. Either that or the initial cell multiplying phase took that long to build up cell counts big enough to attack. Maybe higher gravity and low yeast viability. What was the OG and were the second and third times repitch or new sample/starter?
__________________
Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace


My Brewing Apparatus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 507 Times on 469 Posts


Quote:
Being a 17 veteran brewer I'm sure he knows about gravity readings.
I'm sure he does but not once has a gravity reading been mentioned

Quote:
Only thing I can think of given that you didn't move,raise temp,etc is that there had been some kind of secondary cell growth spike
Cell growth only occurs during the initial lag/growth phase when O2 is present, once the O2 is depleted active fermentation begins and there is no further replication of cells.

As I mentioned, the possibility remains that there may have been a change in pressure due to the weather perhaps or the krausen dropping that forced the CO2 out of suspension. I'm assuming that this issue was pretty quick and not long lasting and since we don't know if the gravity stabilized or where it was before this happened it's a stab at best.


__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unusual Fermentation? WortDog Fermentation & Yeast 5 03-28-2011 06:47 PM
Fermentation questions (for an unusual mead) mindghost Mead Forum 5 03-09-2011 06:23 PM
Unusual fermentation CrapulencePants Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 03-26-2010 10:14 PM
Unusual Stuck Fermentation Frost General Techniques 20 11-25-2008 05:25 PM


Forum Jump