Whats needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbwar15

Reaction score
Just found the forum and thought "I love beer" why not make my own. But I have no idea how. So any help would be grate.

My first step was to purchase and read - cover to cover - How To Brew by John J Palmer.

Your best bet is to find a homebrew supply shop in the area. They can guide you, as well as sell you whatever you need. There are also many websites from which you can order what you need. Some examples (no endorsement implied): Williamsbrewing.com, midwestsupplies.com, brewmasterswarehouse.com, northernbrewer.com.

However, in brief, to get started:

A large pot for boiling
A fermenter vessel -- usually either a carboy (large water jug) or plastic bucket with tight fitting lid (with a hole to insert an airlock
Airlock and rubber stopper
Hydrometer
Thermometer
Empty beer bottles (no twist-off)
Bottle caps
A capper

That's pretty much it, for equipment.

Thanks. I found some local places. Also found out a friend of mine brews beer. Who new every time I drank with him we bye it.

lbwar15 said:
Thanks. I found some local places. Also found out a friend of mine brews beer. Who new every time I drank with him we bye it.

Your friend will probably be your best asset in helping you brew. Good luck!

I am on my 3rd batch currently. I just picked up a basic brewing kit from my LHBS and it has just about everything needed to get going. I did pick up a stainless steel brew kettle as well as a thermometer. And other miscellaneous items as I've progressed. Just do your research before you brew your first batch, and be patient. I really had no patience with my first batch and I wish I had. Obviously this is a great resource and I have found that YouTube has worked really well for me as well. I learned a lot of little things that my LHBS didn't tell me about just by doing some research. And home brewing is heavily addictive.. Best of luck.

Erich8 said:
I am on my 3rd batch currently. I just picked up a basic brewing kit from my LHBS and it has just about everything needed to get going. I did pick up a stainless steel brew kettle as well as a thermometer. And other miscellaneous items as I've progressed. Just do your research before you brew your first batch, and be patient. I really had no patience with my first batch and I wish I had. Obviously this is a great resource and I have found that YouTube has worked really well for me as well. I learned a lot of little things that my LHBS didn't tell me about just by doing some research. And home brewing is heavily addictive.. Best of luck.

How long dose it take for a batch?

An average gravity ale takes about 3 weeks from brew kettle to keg/bottle. Another 3-5 weeks from start of bottle conditioning at room temp to fridge time & pour.

unionrdr said:
An average gravity ale takes about 3 weeks from brew kettle to keg/bottle. Another 3-5 weeks from start of bottle conditioning at room temp to fridge time & pour.

This could be a problem. I work off shore. So I'm home for 7 days then I leave for 21 days then back home for 7 days and on and on.

Not really,21-23 days is about right for an average gravity ale to go through brew day & primary. In other words,with an OG of 1.04X. Good temps & healthy yeast pitch will give that time frame.

unionrdr said:
Not really,21-23 days is about right for an average gravity ale to go through brew day & primary. In other words,with an OG of 1.04X. Good temps & healthy yeast pitch will give that time frame.

What's OG? It there anything that has to be done in between that time? I would just make the wife do it.

OG means Original Gravity, or basically how much sugar is dissolved in the wort. The higher the OG, the higher potential alcohol beer you will have.

"OG" stands for "Original Gravity". The gravity number you get when doing the hydrometer test before pitching the yeast & sealin 'er up. While it's fermenting in primary,about all the wife needs to do is keep an eye on it. It'd be wise to use a blow off rig,just in case you get a vigorous initial fermentation. That way,the wife won't be moppin the seling prayin for your ruination.

This could be a problem. I work off shore. So I'm home for 7 days then I leave for 21 days then back home for 7 days and on and on.

That's actually just about perfect. On your next to last day home, brew. (Your last day, I'm sure you spend packing and spending with your wife and family.)

When you get back, it should be about ready to bottle. Take a gravity reading. Wait three days, and take another. If the gravity hasn't changed, fermentation is complete. Follow instructions and bottle.

By the time you get back from the next off-shore tour, it will be ready to drink.

Back