I am so angry!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malichaidog

Reaction score
I am on my second co2 regulator from beverage factory and it is the exact same problem as the last. I just kicked a 25lb tank of co2 and hooked up the new one. The pressure gauge with all the valves closed (4 way manifold, y splitter off of the tank, and the main valve) just shoots straight to 50 and the safety release engages. If I open it up to my kegs the same thing happens just more gradually. Am I screwing something up when I switch out my spent co2 tank for a full one? Or are these regulators seriously only good for one co2 tank and then it's garbage time? Clearly a seal valve somewhere is not sitting right, but there is no gas escaping anywhere. The pressure gauge just skyrockets. Please any suggestions I have a brand new irish red I want to try asap. Thanks.

Everything is cranked completely closed. 4 way manifold closed regulator downstream valve cranked full off

make sure not turning up the pressure when you think your closing it. It usually backwards from a normal screw. screwed out would be lower pressure and off. screwed in would result in whar you are describing.

make sure not turning up the pressure when you think your closing it. It usually backwards from a normal screw. screwed out would be lower pressure and off. screwed in would result in whar you are describing.

This?

^^^ My thoughts as soon as I read post #1 and then confirmed when I read "Everything is cranked completely closed". The pressure adjustment screw (or knob) has to be backed out all the way, not cranked completely closed. Hopefully this is just a case of operator error and you'll be able to enjoy using your new equipment properly.

Everything is closed. I am not new to kegging. The last time this happened I even took the regulator apart cleaned the gasket to make sure nothing was causing a problem inside. I will post a video to convince everyone how crazy this is

I just tested it again. With the downstream valve unscrewed all the way ( what I call closed). Gas is still escaping downstream. I opened up the regulator and as you can see below there are a ton of metal shavings preventing a proper seal. Any ideas in why that is happening or the best way to clear them out

image-2706129847.jpg

image-4288552568.jpg

Yahtzee!!! Anger has turned to joy and tasty homebrew! I washed all the metal shavings off the rubber seal dried it out really well and put everything back together. When I first put it back on with everything closed aka downstream valve unscrewed still some gas escaped and I had the same problem. So I opened up the downstream valve aka screwed it in all the way and blasted it full open to reseat the valve, then I cranked it closed and low and behold no leaks. No crazy rising pressure, and beer is flowing, life is good.

Good work, I salute your determination! :rockin:

Pretty pathetic that your reg (and apparently the one it replaced) was loaded up with machining debris. You have to wonder if there are a whole lot of customers who have been or will be saddled with the same scenario...

Cheers!

Sucks that you had to take apart your new toys and fix them to get them to work. Glad to hear the beer is flowing again!

Taprite/Micromatic. Sometimes expense is the best economy. There's not too much that can go wrong with a regulator, but apparently there is at least one thing.

I'm not immune from looking for the best deal. But I almost always look for the best deal on the best product. Saves me from the pain of buyer's remorse, something I've suffered my entire life.

Taprite/Micromatic. Sometimes expense is the best economy. There's not too much that can go wrong with a regulator, but apparently there is at least one thing.

I'm not immune from looking for the best deal. But I almost always look for the best deal on the best product. Saves me from the pain of buyer's remorse, something I've suffered my entire life.

+1 My kegging instantly got a lot easier once I bought a higher end micromatic regulator. So much better than any other brand ive found!

I like the dial as opposed to the screw thing. I also like the fact that it will bleed pressure if attached a keg with higher pressure than its set to. It makes it easy to rectify accidentally over carbing when trying to quickly force carb at a high pressure.

Latest posts

Back