Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Screwed up my second batch - Possible Fix?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
DAM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Screwed up my second batch - Possible Fix?

Hello.

Well, I'm new at this, since this is only my second batch (and I'm posting in the beginners forum). I made what I hope is a minor mistake with a second batch, and would like advice on my proposed fix.

I brewed up a Porter using a Midwest kit--6 Lbs. dark liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Carapils, 8 oz. Black malt specialty grains, 1 oz. Willamette pellet bittering hops, 1 oz. Fuggle pellet hops--using a full boil. Ignoring the adage, "When you multitask you aren't focused", I tried balancing another project (in the house), with brewing the beer (in the garage). The result? After brewing and closing up the cooled wort in the fermenter I realized I had forgotten the Fuggle hops during the last 5 minutes of the boil. I figure I can correct this by dry hopping near the end of the secondary fermentation.

My question, is the dry hopping a good way to salvage the situation? And, do I want to use the full 1 oz, or maybe only 1/2 oz Fuggle hops?

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
GASoline71
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Dry hopping will only impart more "nose" to the hops aroma. You're beer migh have a tad less bitterness... but since they were a late addition and a low AA hop... you probably won't really notice.

But I would use them all, and dry hop as well. Just make sure you wait until fermentation is finished, and dry hop for at leat 5 days.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
DAM
Recipes 

Thanks for the quick reply; dry hopping it will be.