Christmas Ale or Ginger Beer :-( - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Christmas Ale or Ginger Beer :-(

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
nicklepickles
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Posts: 235
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsayers

I did not shred it. I tossed it in chopped up in small chunks.

JB
I have a feeling the ginger i used wasnt as fresh as it could have been. Also i think ive seen more brewers chopping it up like you did, rather then shredding. When i redo my recipe im definitely going to chop it up and see if it helps.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
jbsayers
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 123
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles View Post
I have a feeling the ginger i used wasnt as fresh as it could have been. Also i think ive seen more brewers chopping it up like you did, rather then shredding. When i redo my recipe im definitely going to chop it up and see if it helps.
Just as a general cooking tip that also applies to brewing, don't chop too long or too fine with any spice/herb. Most of the time the compound that carries the flavor or aroma of the spice/herb is an oil that you extract for them plant. If you chop too long or fine, you will just end up with all that oil in your cutting board and on your knife and none left in the plant to be extracted into your dish/brew.

Something to keep in mind,

JB


__________________
Primary #1: Empty

Primary #2: Empty

Secondary #1: Empty

Kegged: Empty

Kegged: Empty

Up Next: Sayers' Wild Oats. School has kept me busy and I haven't brewed in a year!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
nicklepickles
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Posts: 235
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsayers

Just as a general cooking tip that also applies to brewing, don't chop too long or too fine with any spice/herb. Most of the time the compound that carries the flavor or aroma of the spice/herb is an oil that you extract for them plant. If you chop too long or fine, you will just end up with all that oil in your cutting board and on your knife and none left in the plant to be extracted into your dish/brew.

Something to keep in mind,

JB
Hmm, interesting. That was probably the case with me, i remember a lot of juice ending up in the grater instead of in the boil.., thanks for the tip!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
FuzzeWuzze
I Love DIY
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
FuzzeWuzze's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Newberg, Oregon
Posts: 3,080
Liked 411 Times on 305 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsayers View Post
Just as a general cooking tip that also applies to brewing, don't chop too long or too fine with any spice/herb. Most of the time the compound that carries the flavor or aroma of the spice/herb is an oil that you extract for them plant. If you chop too long or fine, you will just end up with all that oil in your cutting board and on your knife and none left in the plant to be extracted into your dish/brew.

Something to keep in mind,

JB
If you keep your cutting board sanitiary while you are shredding/slicing, you should be able to get everything.

I shredded 5oz and scooped it off my cutting board along with all the juice and pulp onto a sanitized piece of plastic wrap, then went over and slowly dumped it down into my secondary.

My ginger beer is actually quite ginger flavored now, my previous comment isnt as true now, i think it was the first pint pulling all the yeast and crap off the bottom of the keg that was muddling the flavor..now it comes out crystal clear and there is no doubt its ginger beer.

I will say if you are going to shred it, put it in a bag dont just drop it in...i lost probably half a gallon of beer because my auto siphon kept getting clogged with all of the ginger and sucking air...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
jbsayers
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 123
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
If you keep your cutting board sanitiary while you are shredding/slicing, you should be able to get everything.

I shredded 5oz and scooped it off my cutting board along with all the juice and pulp onto a sanitized piece of plastic wrap, then went over and slowly dumped it down into my secondary.

My ginger beer is actually quite ginger flavored now, my previous comment isnt as true now, i think it was the first pint pulling all the yeast and crap off the bottom of the keg that was muddling the flavor..now it comes out crystal clear and there is no doubt its ginger beer.

I will say if you are going to shred it, put it in a bag dont just drop it in...i lost probably half a gallon of beer because my auto siphon kept getting clogged with all of the ginger and sucking air...
It really isn't a matter of sanitation. Wooden cutting boards will absorb some of the juice you are trying to extract. Even plastic boards, unless they are brand new, will trap the juice. I know my plastic cutting board has many grooves in it from a couple years of use. You are just best following the advice I gave before. I got that advice from a well known chef. I def notice a difference when I cook by not over slicing/chopping my herbs. YMMV.

Cheers,
JB
__________________
Primary #1: Empty

Primary #2: Empty

Secondary #1: Empty

Kegged: Empty

Kegged: Empty

Up Next: Sayers' Wild Oats. School has kept me busy and I haven't brewed in a year!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
jbsayers
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Posts: 123
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts


UPDATE

So I bought a kegging system (5gal ball lock with 10lb CO2 tank and picnic tap) and kegged the Christmas Ale (which I have named "Sayers' Bah Humbug Brew"). Of course I sampled a bit and the ginger has significantly subsided and the beer has a wonderful balance of cinnamon and ginger. The aroma has hints of both and was very pleasing.

I may not change this recipe at all the next time I brew it. I'll wait a week for it to be carbed before I make my final determination.

Hope this helps those that replied with their holiday brews!

Cheers,
JB


__________________
Primary #1: Empty

Primary #2: Empty

Secondary #1: Empty

Kegged: Empty

Kegged: Empty

Up Next: Sayers' Wild Oats. School has kept me busy and I haven't brewed in a year!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ginger Wine to ginger beer? koomber Winemaking Forum 9 08-30-2014 05:39 PM
Ginger Beer using Crystallized ginger? merk_the_hermit Soda Making 14 06-09-2014 03:04 PM
1 Barter Ginger Beer & No Strings Ginger Ale recipes mease19 Soda Making 9 12-20-2012 02:52 PM
How Do You Make Alcoholic Ginger Beer Using Ginger Root? joe_schmo Recipes/Ingredients 7 12-23-2011 11:12 PM
The Ginger Stole Christmas Justibone Recipes/Ingredients 8 11-25-2011 06:23 PM


Forum Jump