So this would be my first attempt at partial mashing, mainly to reduce the costs of buying more extract and being able to add a little creativity to the grain bill. Please, I look forward to hearing what everyone and anyone thinks and if there is anything you would do differently.
ZEUS JUICE - IIPA
OG: 1.085 --- FG: 1.020
- 6 lbs. American 2-row
- 1 lb. Victory Malt
- 1 lb. Crystal 15L
- 6.6 lbs. of Light LME (late addition)
- 4 oz. of Zeus hops (2 oz. in the boil / 2 oz. dry-hopped)
- 2 x WLP001 California Ale Yeast
- 1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
- 1 tsp. Irish Moss
- Mash grains in 3 gallons @ 152F
- Rinse grains with 1-2 gallons @ 170F
- Raise volume to 5.5 gallons
- 60 min. boil
- 1 oz. Zeus addition @ 60 min.
- 0.5 oz. Zeus addition @ 45 min.
- 0.5 oz. Zeus addition @ 15 min.
- 6.6 lbs. Light LME addition @ 10 min.
- Yeast Nutrient and Irish Moss addition @ 10 min.
- Chill to 69F, pitch starter made from 2 x WLP001
- Ferment for 2-3 weeks in primary @ 69-70F
- Rack to secondary once FG is hit and dry hop with 2 oz. of Zeus for 2 weeks.
- Bottle and condition for 2-4 weeks.
My only questions are concerning the partial mash and the yeast starter. I have never partial mashed so some input in this would be appreciated.
Also I tried to determine how much of a starter I should make and I am a little confused. I need around 300-315 billion cells for proper fermentation so I was aiming to do a 2L starter. How much DME and water should I use to make this starter?
Please and Thank You!!!