Lacking apple flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletcher21

Reaction score
So I took my first shot at an apple cider recently. It has been in the primary for about a month and a half so far. All the sediment has dropped leaving it very clean. So I decided to use the thief and take a taste. It tastes like a good white wine with little to no apple tastes. Since I have not done this before I don't really know what to expect. Will the apple flavor come with age? Do I need to do something in a secondary? I want a dry product but still have a apple note. And assistance would help.

Recipe included
5 gallons of farm fresh apple cider
1 lbs of light brown sugar
1 lbs of honey
Dry wine yeast ( can't remember what my LHBS recommended)

You can back sweeten the batch using frozen concetrate or add a flavoring to the batch right before bottling.

Age will help, as will carbonation. How's the acidity? Adding malic acid can also bring out some fresh apple character.

Age brings the flavor back. Carb does help it also. I have also used apple concentrate. Letting it age is the best way I have found and its the best flavor also.

Back