Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What to do with a Sanke keg?

Old 11-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
johngault007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I converted mine to a HLT and love it.

Kegged: Concussion Red
Upcoming Brews:Moneypenny IPA, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout (w/cherry)

Old 11-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #12
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 80

My vote is for a fermenter. I have two and I love them! Just stick a #10 drilled stopper in the opening with an airlock. Think of it as a giant carboy..but indestructible.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
My vote is for a fermenter. I have two and I love them! Just stick a #10 drilled stopper in the opening with an airlock. Think of it as a giant carboy..but indestructible.
Just a bit silly to put less than 10 gallons into a 1/2 bbl keg, don'tcha think??

You can also use the large universal bung (not the one for BB, the other universal) and cram an airlock in the bunghole... I've done it, you just need to be sure to push it all the way until the lip is right against the valve opening before putting the airlock into it. Then it will seal up nice and tight.

I ferment in tall 1/4bbl and 1/6bbl sanke kegs all the time. I even have a 50L sanke fermenter. Not only are they pretty much bullet proof, they're light proof too.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1243 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 1113

I like the suggestions to use it as a fermenter, but my only concern is how to clean it? Even with my glass carboys, it can take some scrubbing with the brush and hot water/PBW, and in that case, I can SEE the krausen and gunk. With a stainless Sanke keg, working blind through a 3" hole, how would you know if you missed a spot?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #15
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I like the suggestions to use it as a fermenter, but my only concern is how to clean it? Even with my glass carboys, it can take some scrubbing with the brush and how water/PBW, and in that case, I can SEE the krausen and gunk. With a stainless Sanke keg, working blind through a 3" hole, how would you know if you missed a spot?
Add a gallon-ish of water into it, toss it on your burner, the steam + heat will loosen all the gunk up. Clean upper area well with carboy brush and a spray wand. I have an inspection mirror as well just to double check the "blind spots".

Old 11-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I like the suggestions to use it as a fermenter, but my only concern is how to clean it? Even with my glass carboys, it can take some scrubbing with the brush and hot water/PBW, and in that case, I can SEE the krausen and gunk. With a stainless Sanke keg, working blind through a 3" hole, how would you know if you missed a spot?
The carboy cleaner tool (the one you connect to a power drill) will also do the job. I've used it in mine with good results. I would still either steam clean it or give it a good soak with hot PBW first. If you use a solid TC cap on the opening, you can invert the keg to get the PBW in full contact with the crud (if it was more full of fermenting beer).

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
Phunhog
Recipes 

Quote:
I built a ghetto keg washer. It is cheap Harbor Freight fountain pump and a 24 in sprinkler riser with a cap. I drilled a bunch of holes in the riser and cap. I place the pump in a bucket with hot Oxyclean and place the keg over it. Let it run for an hour. Everything is clean...or at least just wipes off. I then fill it with a gallon or two of water and boil/steam it for 10 minutes.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1243 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 1113

Upon further reflection, I believe the keg is aluminum, not stainless steel. Does that change anyone's answer? Can I still ferment in it? Do I have to worry about aluminum leeching anything toxic into the beer if it's in contact for an extended period (i.e., during fermentation)?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Phunhog
Recipes 

Quote:
Upon further reflection, I believe the keg is aluminum, not stainless steel. Does that change anyone's answer? Can I still ferment in it? Do I have to worry about aluminum leeching anything toxic into the beer if it's in contact for an extended period (i.e., during fermentation)?
If it's aluminum I wouldn't ferment in it....would still make a good kettle though.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
How are you determining it's aluminum?? Is it a straight side (current style) keg? What is the date stamp (should be on the top of the keg)? If it's from 1980 forward, it should be stainless steel. It will be barely magnetic, IF you try using a strong rare earth magnet on it. Normal magnets (fridge type) won't stick to it at all. You can always try the old file test. If the file bites into it easily, it's aluminum. If it barely makes a mark, it's stainless.

Fermenting
K1: