Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first time brewing! (as I type)

Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #31
dfarm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

That's kind of what I was thinking. Its been a couple of weeks at that sg, so I was thinking that it wasn't going to change much more. But this is my first brew.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #32
dfarm
Recipes 

So, what should I do at this point? I'm afraid to bottle because of the high fg, but nothing happened after I swirled it around a bit.

I was hoping to be drinking this stuff last might for new years, but that didn't work out. Lol.

Since its just a 1 gallon batch, could I bottle, then put the bottles in plastic buckets with lids to contain any "grenades"? how do I know when its ok to bottle?

Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #33
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarm View Post
So, what should I do at this point? I'm afraid to bottle because of the high fg, but nothing happened after I swirled it around a bit.

I was hoping to be drinking this stuff last might for new years, but that didn't work out. Lol.

Since its just a 1 gallon batch, could I bottle, then put the bottles in plastic buckets with lids to contain any "grenades"? how do I know when its ok to bottle?
Since this batch has been in the fermenter for quite some time, and you have tried swirling to rouse the yeast, I would say that this one has fermented as far as it is going to. For some reason (probably mash temps) the wort had a higher concentration of unfermentables than you expected. That would explain the high finishing gravity.

In general, it is safe to bottle when the gravity has been stable for 3-4 days. since your gravity has been stable much longer than that, I do not see any reason to worry about bottling safety.

I suspect that the only "bad" thing that will come of this high finishing gravity is a beer that is sweeter than expected. Some really big stouts can finish at 1.023, so I do not think that the beer will be bad, just a little on the sweet side.

Go ahead and bottle, let it condition for a few weeks, and let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #34
dfarm
Recipes 

Well, its in bottles. Wish me luck! Its going to be a long 3 weeks! Lol

Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #35
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Try and give it at LEAST 3 weeks. When I give people my stouts I give them 2 and tell them to enjoy one now and "hide" one for a few weeks/months and see the difference. Give em some time to grow.

GL and welcome. You sound like you are well on your way to making some REALLY TASTY BREWS!
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #36
dfarm
Recipes 

Well, I've sampled a couple of these so far, and they are not too bad. The carbonation is a little lighter than I'd have preferred, but its completely drinkable. It did turn out a bit sweet, but its not bad at all.