Why?! - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Why?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #31
cluckk
 
cluckk's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2005
San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,599
Liked 361 Times on 230 Posts


I've thought long and hard about the physics of the human fart. Gas bubbles usually rise and exit upward. So why is it that we humans (who walk upright) fart instead of only burp? You'd think that would be the proper direction for all gases to escape. With cattle I understand since much of their life is spent with their head lower than their buttocks, but why is it this way with us?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #32
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
I've thought long and hard about the physics of the human fart. Gas bubbles usually rise and exit upward. So why is it that we humans (who walk upright) fart instead of only burp? You'd think that would be the proper direction for all gases to escape. With cattle I understand since much of their life is spent with their head lower than their buttocks, but why is it this way with us?
It has more to do with the one way valve in out stomachs preventing things from going back up (no matter what South Park shows). Burps are from stomach activity, not intestinal (as I understand it). So, farts have no choice but to head towards the sphincter in order to escape.

"Speak, oh toothless wonder, impart upon us your wisdom."
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #33
cluckk
 
cluckk's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2005
San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,599
Liked 361 Times on 230 Posts


Yes, I knew all that. Actually when I was in the Army I got so constipated that nothing could exit down there--not even gas. I could feel the gas bubbles build up and painfully move down, then back up and finally exit as a burp. Talk about breath that smelled like crap!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #34
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
Yes, I knew all that. Actually when I was in the Army I got so constipated that nothing could exit down there--not even gas. I could feel the gas bubbles build up and painfully move down, then back up and finally exit as a burp. Talk about breath that smelled like crap!
That must have been some extreme blockage... You know you're not supposed to eat glue, right??
__________________
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #35
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher
 
Billy-Klubb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Windom, MN
Posts: 11,617
Liked 5916 Times on 3477 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post

"Speak, oh toothless wonder, impart upon us your wisdom."
what would you like to know? bwahahaha!!
__________________
There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Williams View Post
"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I've plenty of legit material... No need to go making up quotes for your sig.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #36
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Stauffbier's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
El Paso, TX
Posts: 5,118
Liked 1048 Times on 641 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
what would you like to know? bwahahaha!!
I think you just referred to yourself as a flatulent ass!
__________________
Bier war sein letztes wort dann trugen ihn die Englein fort...


Dan Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #37
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher
 
Billy-Klubb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Windom, MN
Posts: 11,617
Liked 5916 Times on 3477 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I think you just referred to yourself as a flatulent ass!
I am an ass & quite flatulent.
__________________
There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Williams View Post
"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I've plenty of legit material... No need to go making up quotes for your sig.

Stauffbier Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #38
cluckk
 
cluckk's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2005
San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,599
Liked 361 Times on 230 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
That must have been some extreme blockage... You know you're not supposed to eat glue, right??
The doctor asked what I had been eating and I told him "Just the mess hall food." He said, "That's your problem. That stuff will kill you."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #39
nmfree
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
, Wisconsin
Posts: 411
Liked 379 Times on 194 Posts


__________________
Home of the world's first Yoctobrewery- brewing beer one sip at a time.

Stauffbier Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #40
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Dan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Posts: 7,176
Liked 2195 Times on 1376 Posts


Lmao!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump