Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Primary, Secondary, then bottle?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
NewDecadeBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN
This would be a good point but for a new brewer on a short budget they can buy a plastic bucket for an extra fermenter for half the price of a carboy and get something that isn't fragile at the same time.
I was just stating my considerations. I have various fermenters including plastic buckets and they make fine beer.

Perhaps some are, especially these days, but I wasn't assuming the original poster was on a "short budget" or any other new brewer either.

As far as a secondary necessarily being fragile there are better bottles, plastic and steel conicals, corny kegs, and of course glass. So, secondaries aren't intrinsically fragile.

BTW I found a Carboy on my local Craigslist yesterday the guy said he left it dirty after last brew session so he was only asking $15. I guess he didn't feel like cleaning it. Not necessarily expensive either I guess.