Someone Please Talk Me Out of This... - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Someone Please Talk Me Out of This...

Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #31
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalEd
////total tangential rant: What the heck is up with sports games!?! Seriously, you want to play football, call up a friend and grab the pigskin, or go watch the TV. Games are supposed to be about doing things that you could never do yourself, or could do but are incredibly risky. I mean, let's face it, very few of us are gonna go out and join the military for 30 yrs to get our adrenaline rush, going out on quasi-suicidal missions. No, that's what games are for. What's worse, there is almost no innovation in sports games from year to year, yet people keep buying it again and again.

EA Sport: It's in the game. That you bought last year.

end rant///
Well, if you're gonna break it down like that, based on "things that you could never do yourself", then there are two kinds of sports games...stuff like Rockstar's table tennis, etc...and stuff like Maddon '08. Yes, I can go play pingpong right now if I wish. But tell me, how many of us are really going to ever be able to coach and play as every/any player on the field of an NFL game? Um, certainly not myself. And if you think that tossing a football around in the backyard with you pals is anything like playing in the NFL...well...I've gotta see these pals of yours...and this backyard!

As for "no innovation", I agree that all too often, there's little more improvement from year to year on sports games that updating the rosters and the stats. But have you seen the reviews for Madden 08? Looks like this is what gamers have been waiting for.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #32
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
Oh, and Evan, if you do get the game, don't get the PC version. It's all sorts of messed up. A big lawsuit is about to be handed to 2k (the production company) for the problems their copy protection software is causing.
Word...thanks for the headsup. That's all the prodding I needed. I'll refrain from Bioshock then. That review at Arstechnica said that everything was fine, tho..?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #33
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Actually, they announced today a ton of patches coming through for the pc version. Widescreen problem fixed and the DRM protection problem will be fixed. So it's cool now. They really did a stand up job listening to their customers.

And, for future reference, there is talk that rockstar games is going to be making ps3 exclusive games from here on out. Looks like sony might even be buying them.