Someone Please Talk Me Out of This... - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Someone Please Talk Me Out of This...

Old 08-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #21
ryser2k
Recipes 

Mar 2005
Schuylkill Haven, PA
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
PS3 just announced tivo like video recording for your television shows too.
I heard that this is coming to the 360 with the Fall Dashboard update. It's just a rumor though so take that with a grain of salt...

As a 360 owner I could pitch the 360 to you till I'm blue in the face, but I'll direct you to this article instead, which really sums up this whole "360 vs PS3" argument nicely: Xbox 360 vs PS3 - Why It Doesn't F***ing Matter (Click through to the article, I can't link it directly since the URL has the f word in it )

The main reason I see to get a 360 is if you have friends that you would want to play online with... Xbox Live is head and shoulders above PS3's online system. Also I've played the Bioshock demo... the game is amazing. It reminds me of Half-life with the detailed environments and great storyline. Another game coming out this week you might want to check out is Two Worlds... it's supposed to be a lot like Oblivion but with online multiplayer.

If you decide to go with the 360 and pick up any multiplayer games, look me up on Xbox Live, my gamertag is ryser2k. Oh, and if you want, I have a free 1 month Live card... I can give you the code for it.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:31 PM   #22
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryser2k
Xbox Live is head and shoulders above PS3's online system.
I'll agree the dashboard is much prettier than the ps3's psn, but how is it head and shoulders above? PS3's online gaming is free (unlike the 360)... supports blue tooth keyboard, mouse and headset and runs great. I play resistance online all the time, and warkhawk is supposed to killer based on beta reviews. Oh yea, and it allows mods (starting with the upcoming Unreal Tournament 3) which the Microsoft will NOT allow.

I play call of duty 3 on my 360 online, and that's fun as hell as well. But I don't see how it runs any better than ps3. Not too mention, finding a match on resistence is 10 times faster than on call of duty 3. (can't wait for call of duty 4 by the way )

Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #23
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Valdosta, GA
Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts

this thread went off track... Bioshock is badass. I've been playing it as much as I can since it came out (I decided to get it on the PC) and it is a REALLY good game - but beware, it is VERY creepy and graphic...

Old 08-24-2007, 01:46 AM   #24
todd_k

Recipes 

Jan 2006
RVA
Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

Bioshock looks awesome but I'm still on a PS2 and PC games. Guitar Hero 2 is my latest addiction. I've been planning on buying a 360, I'm a Sony guy but I think they did themselves a great disservice by pricing themselves out of the market, even with the recent price reduction. Xbox just did the same thing. I'm hoping to score an xbox and hd tv by March.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:08 AM   #25
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I chose the 360 not because of the hardware, but rather the games. All the major game releases that I am or have been looking forward to are on the 360; Gears, Guitar Hero 2, Bioshock, and the obvious Halo 3 are all available on the 360; only GH2 is on the PS3. Backwards compatability with my 2-3 xbox titles helped, too.

I'll freely admit that the PS3 hardware is more powerful (if more difficult to code for) and that HD-DVD is winning, but I can't see that the graphical difference between the PS3 and 360 changing much in the next 3 years (aka life-cycle of a platform). If I want to play a high-definition movie, I'll wait until the universal players come out (very soon) and purchase a computer drive; I wouldn't trust a closed-source media player on a console to play the movie at it's best.

FWIW, my 360 has never had any heat issues, but I've always taken good care of it and haven't left it on for 48 hrs straight, either.

////total tangential rant: What the heck is up with sports games!?! Seriously, you want to play football, call up a friend and grab the pigskin, or go watch the TV. Games are supposed to be about doing things that you could never do yourself, or could do but are incredibly risky. I mean, let's face it, very few of us are gonna go out and join the military for 30 yrs to get our adrenaline rush, going out on quasi-suicidal missions. No, that's what games are for. What's worse, there is almost no innovation in sports games from year to year, yet people keep buying it again and again.

EA Sport: It's in the game. That you bought last year.

end rant///

Old 08-24-2007, 03:14 AM   #26
WOP31

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

I thought that we were supposed to be helping Evan! out, not encouraging him to go out and buy games by talking about how great they are!

I am still here to support you dude go out and get yourself a bike or a soccer ball or something and get out of the house.

Cheers

Old 08-24-2007, 04:25 AM   #27
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalEd
I chose the 360 not because of the hardware, but rather the games. All the major game releases that I am or have been looking forward to are on the 360; Gears, Guitar Hero 2, Bioshock, and the obvious Halo 3 are all available on the 360; only GH2 is on the PS3. Backwards compatability with my 2-3 xbox titles helped, too.

I'll freely admit that the PS3 hardware is more powerful (if more difficult to code for) and that HD-DVD is winning, but I can't see that the graphical difference between the PS3 and 360 changing much in the next 3 years (aka life-cycle of a platform). If I want to play a high-definition movie, I'll wait until the universal players come out (very soon) and purchase a computer drive; I wouldn't trust a closed-source media player on a console to play the movie at it's best.

FWIW, my 360 has never had any heat issues, but I've always taken good care of it and haven't left it on for 48 hrs straight, either.

////total tangential rant: What the heck is up with sports games!?! Seriously, you want to play football, call up a friend and grab the pigskin, or go watch the TV. Games are supposed to be about doing things that you could never do yourself, or could do but are incredibly risky. I mean, let's face it, very few of us are gonna go out and join the military for 30 yrs to get our adrenaline rush, going out on quasi-suicidal missions. No, that's what games are for. What's worse, there is almost no innovation in sports games from year to year, yet people keep buying it again and again.

EA Sport: It's in the game. That you bought last year.

end rant///
I hear you about good games, but I think that's all personal preference as well. I've never had a ps2, so I"m catching up on all those games (upscaled to HD ) and I've never been a fan of Halo. Bioshock, Call of Duty 3 and Gears are the only games I play on my 360 more than once. As far as ps3 games go. The good ones are on the way. This month and next month iare the beginnings of that. Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank and Lair for starts.

On a side note, programming for the ps3 is harder, but not for talented programmers. In fact, the new technology that makes it difficult is about to take over the entire computer industry (multiple cores). dual and quad core processers are the "must haves" now. The ps3 has 7.. or is it 8? cores in it's processor.

Oh, and about sports games rant? I hate them, but this looks pretty flipping cool. This is a tech demo, so the graphics have not really been worked on yet. But in this game, backbreaker, every tackle is unique.. using some crazy physics engine. Watch the video about halfway down the page: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/23/ne...euphoria-tech/

Old 08-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #28
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

BUY BIOSHOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Killer game. A friend bought it and hasn't stopped playing except to work and get 4 hours of sleep all week. Wicked game!

Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM   #29
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
I'm a gamer Evan. I will tell you first, get a ps3... not a 360. I have both, and play the ps3 wayyyyy more. If you do get a 360, get Bioshock and Gears of War. Both are awesome games.

And to you old farts: There have been many studies that say video games are actually good for the mind. A lot of puzzle solving going on that is subconscious. Not to mention, they are the peak of technology which is really cool. Also, I go outside just as much as I stay inside and play games. It's nice being able to enjoy both

On the other hand, certain games (online, never-ending games *cough* world of warcraft *cough*) can be and often are addicting and can really hurt someone or their friends and family. So stay away from those
I'm with you...not so sure I can justify the cost of the ps3 though. I'm really mostly interested in a platform for GTA IV...like I said, not a huge gamer. So we'll see what happens in several months...maybe the ps3 prices will go down before GTA comes out. If I had my choice, I'd get a Wii (Katamari is moving to the Wii, one of my favorite games ever)...but they're in pretty short supply, and no GTA IV on that platform. So...we'll just have to see.

And, yeah, you're right, there are plenty of studies that show that video games help the mind develop and stay sharp. I stay sharp by banging hoes in GTA:SA, then killing them and taking back the money I just paid them.

I'm just not a huge gamer because I've got too much else going on, and I'm not one of those guys who can stay up all night. I seriously have about 4 books that I'm reading right now (one of them being Atlas Shrugged, not exactly summer beach reading).

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #30
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
I thought that we were supposed to be helping Evan! out, not encouraging him to go out and buy games by talking about how great they are!

I am still here to support you dude go out and get yourself a bike or a soccer ball or something and get out of the house.

Cheers
I'm about as active as it gets. That's not the issue, really...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)