Someone Please Talk Me Out of This... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Someone Please Talk Me Out of This...

Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 87 Times on 72 Posts

So, I remember what happened with Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Time Burglar! I'm not a huge video game guy---mostly a big GTA fan...and I rarely buy video games for the computer. But since my PS2 crapped out on me, I've been itching for something cool. I realize that I'll probably have to drop the cash on a 360 before GTA IV comes out (because I will not be denied the pleasure of playing it on the day it goes on sale)...but in the meantime...THIS looks pretty great. And the conclusion of the review is "Now would you kindly go buy Bioshock?" From what I've seen around the interwebs, it's one of the highest rated games ever.

But it also sounds like something---like Oblivion---that could be a big time burglar...screw up all the books that I'm reading, etc. So, what have you heard about this game, has anyone played it, and is it a bad idea to get in terms of being a "time burglar"?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 338 Times on 169 Posts

Time is best spent brewing & drinking beer. Save your money.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA

You obviously haven't seen how much I brew and drink.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
WOP31

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Not sure about this game but my personal opinion (take it or leave it) is that video games are time burglars anyway. I would personally much rather read a book or go outside and play with my son or just walk around a park or ride a bike or Brew! like i said though just my opinion, but if you are into it than i say buy it or put the money toward the 360.

Cheers

Old 08-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 528 Times on 424 Posts

Personally, I tend to get bored playing video games after a little while, although I did find an emulator for a bunch of old Nintendo games (old-school stuff like Super Mario Bros. 3) that I've been playing a fair amount of this past week. Then, last night, I found a java emulator for my old Tandy CoCo, with craploads of games that I used to play when I was a wee little one. But, the controls kinda suck.

I refuse, though, to spend a dime on a video game system, I just can't justify it as a good use of my time.

Incidentally, is there anything else in this world more mind-numbingly boring than watching someone else play a video game? We were out at the family's in Buffalo, and lots of the kids (and the brother-in-law) were sitting around watching each other play with their new Wii. I couldn't sit there, it was absolutely numbing - even more so when they were seemingly spending hours just making their avatars. Ugh...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 08-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

I'd talk you out of buying it, but I plan on getting the 360 version of it very soon so that would just be hypocritical of me....

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Personally, I tend to get bored playing video games after a little while, although I did find an emulator for a bunch of old Nintendo games (old-school stuff like Super Mario Bros. 3) that I've been playing a fair amount of this past week. Then, last night, I found a java emulator for my old Tandy CoCo, with craploads of games that I used to play when I was a wee little one. But, the controls kinda suck.

I refuse, though, to spend a dime on a video game system, I just can't justify it as a good use of my time.

Incidentally, is there anything else in this world more mind-numbingly boring than watching someone else play a video game? We were out at the family's in Buffalo, and lots of the kids (and the brother-in-law) were sitting around watching each other play with their new Wii. I couldn't sit there, it was absolutely numbing - even more so when they were seemingly spending hours just making their avatars. Ugh...
Yeah, I hear you on that. Especially if it's a sh*tty game. I can't say that I haven't enjoyed watching other people play various GTA's, but even that gets old after awhile.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

I'm a gamer Evan. I will tell you first, get a ps3... not a 360. I have both, and play the ps3 wayyyyy more. If you do get a 360, get Bioshock and Gears of War. Both are awesome games.

And to you old farts: There have been many studies that say video games are actually good for the mind. A lot of puzzle solving going on that is subconscious. Not to mention, they are the peak of technology which is really cool. Also, I go outside just as much as I stay inside and play games. It's nice being able to enjoy both

On the other hand, certain games (online, never-ending games *cough* world of warcraft *cough*) can be and often are addicting and can really hurt someone or their friends and family. So stay away from those

Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
On the other hand, certain games (online, never-ending games *cough* world of warcraft *cough*) can be and often are addicting and can really hurt someone or their friends and family. So stay away from those
I bought season 10 of South Park yesterday, it came with a 14 day trial of world of warcraft. I Immediately tossed it, I don't even want the temptation.... When I was younger I could play video games for hours and hours, now after about an hour I get bored and have to do something else. Don't get me wrong, I still love video games and they've gotten soooo much better, I just can't devote the time to them that I used to

Speaking of games hurting lives, check this out http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20397322/

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Dude, have you watched the worldcraft episode on season 10? Best southpark episode EVER!