Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Dry Hopping a keg

Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #1
RUNningonbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 20 Posts

Default Dry Hopping a keg

So I have a pale ale in a keg I carbed up with priming sugar, I also foolishy dry hopped with an ounce hop pellets, not in a tea ball or bag, i'm concerned i'm going to be pulling out hop pellets or clog the dip tube, should I transfer to another sealed corny keg via CO2 with gelatin finings? Or should I just let it sit in my fridge and let it settle out, i'm in no hurry to drink it. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5934 Times on 4231 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNningonbrew View Post
So I have a pale ale in a keg I carbed up with priming sugar, I also foolishy dry hopped with an ounce hop pellets, not in a tea ball or bag, i'm concerned i'm going to be pulling out hop pellets or clog the dip tube, should I transfer to another sealed corny keg via CO2 with gelatin finings? Or should I just let it sit in my fridge and let it settle out, i'm in no hurry to drink it. Thanks in advance.
Well, I would think if your diptube is going to clog (the reason for the transfer), then you wouldn't be able to transfer out of it via the diptube.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 20 Posts

I was thinking the same thing, do you think adding gelatin finings to the original keg will help?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1785 Times on 1418 Posts

I wouldn't bother with finings at this point. Just chill the keg down and let it sit for a few days, and all of the pellet mush will end up on the bottom. At that point your best bet would be to rack the beer off the hops to a fresh keg using a siphon...

Cheers!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 21

At this point I would put a paper coffee filter on the end of the racking cane, and transfer the beer into a fermenter, rinse the keg off, and then transfer the beer back into the keg. Next time, try dry hopping in the keg with WHOLE hops in a bag (nylon 5-gal strainer bag from Home Depot). Works perfectly every time. Read this. And no gelatine.