Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice on all grain kit purchase
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Advice on all grain kit purchase

Just looking for some advice on which kit would be a better buy for the same price... I'm looking to buy something that won't need to be entirely upgraded in a year or two so hopefully one of these will be a good base to start with.

With this one I would also be purchasing a 6.5 gal glass carboy to use for fermentation instead of the included bucket.

For this one I have a cooler that would be converted into a mash tun, and I'd have to figure out what to use for sparge water/HLT.

Any advice at all would be extremely helpful!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I like home But I'm a little biased as they r my lhbs. : D

metanoia Likes This 
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Have you ever brewed before? Do you already have extract brew equipment? If so, you may not need a complete kit. You can buy a cooler and turn it into a mash/lauter tun yourself and batch sparge. If you need a bigger kettle, get at least a 10 gal. You can use your exisiting pot for sparge water heating. If just starting out, then I like the Adventures in Homebrew kit since it comes with a hard copy of John Palmers book.
Primary#1: Currently Empty
Primary#2: Currently Empty
Primary#3: Currently Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Currently Nothing
Kegged: Pete's Cream Ale
Drinking:Biermuncher's ESB, Kolsh, Rapture Red Ale, Blonde Ale, Pete's Winter Vanilla Porter, Honey Cream Ale, Old Fezziwig Christmas Ale, Pete's Golden APA, Burt's IPA, Bells Two-Hearted IPA Clone,
On Deck: Stout
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
struggling author
Liked 3255 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 2369

I like the one from adventures in brewing more. They give you an extra SS kettle for sparge water & the cooler for mashing in. Other lil goodies as well for the same price. so adventures in home brewing has the better value atm.
My sci-fi & home brewing books on amazon-kindle now! New additions coming!
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle!
My homebrewing book "Tippy Tippy Tappy" on Kindle!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I'm partial to AIH as well, since they're 5 minutes down the road, but unionrdr also has good points.

Do you have any equipment already? Most people start with extract, so buying a lot of the same things again doesn't much much sense. If you already have a cooler to convert to a MLT, then all you really need is a larger pot for sparge water (if an old extract kettle is too small), a brew kettle (most will suggest a 7.5-9 gallon pot with propane burner (a turkey fryer will suffice for most brews)), and maybe a few other odds and ends (immersion chiller, etc.).

I myself started with extract and even then I built up my equipment as cheap as possible: food grade buckets from work, cheap siphon, borrowed brew kettle from mother-in-law, lots of household items (strainer, measuring cup, spoon, etc.). While those $335 kits might provide some savings over buying individually, I've enjoyed slowly building up my inventory as my skills increased. Plus, I've never had equipment lying around that I didn't need yet, which is what I'd have been afraid with buying a kit like those.

Hope you can find the right equipment for your needs and price range!

Fermenting: Group brews: ESB; Nut Brown; Strong Ale [8/22 brewday]
Bottled/Kegged: None
On Deck: Porter? I hardly know her [9/5 brewday]

Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.