Old 11-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Dr_Jeff
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Madison, AL
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

So in this recipe, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/reap...tition-239228/

this is said,

if I don't have Maris Otter, I use 4.5 lbs of 2-row and a pound of victory malt to approximate the MO, don't have victory? Just toast a pound of your 2-row at 350 degrees for 16 minutes and let it sit in a bag for a week prior to brewing.

What does the toasting accomplish?
Why wait a week after toasting?
Should the grain be in a paper bag for the week or back in plastic after it cools?
So then toast roughly 20% of 2-row @ 350 for 16 min. to simulate MO?

I have almost a full sack of Caramel 30.
Can this be toasted to turn it in to some of the higher number Caramel malts?
If so, what would be the time , and temp needed to convert it into the different varieties?

Thx

Old 11-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Pie_Man

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Gainesville, FL
Liked 138 Times on 130 Posts

What does the toasting accomplish? - I believe Marris Otter is kilned slightly darker than 2 row, so toasting helps to approximate the higer kilning. Having tasted MO and 2 row side by side, MO is a little more bready/toasty in flavor than plain 2 row.

Why wait a week after toasting? - It's my understanding that recently toasted/roasted malts can have a harshness, so it's recommended to let them sit for a few days before using in order for them to mellow.

Should the grain be in a paper bag for the week or back in plastic after it cools? - I don't think this matters.

So then toast roughly 20% of 2-row @ 350 for 16 min. to simulate MO?

I have almost a full sack of Caramel 30.
Can this be toasted to turn it in to some of the higher number Caramel malts? - I don't think so, caramel malts undergo a slighly different malting process than base grains (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Crystal_malt). The taste of caramel malts is probably too different (i.e. sweeter) than the taste between 2 row and Marris Otter. Also, caramel malts aren't as fermentable as base malts.

I hope this helps. Toasting malts to give them a little extra added complexity can be a good technique. With that said, Marris Otter is a great malt and also worth using if it's available to you.