Do you let StarSan touch your skin? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Do you let StarSan touch your skin?

Old 11-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
whoaru99
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Liked 139 Times on 116 Posts

Haven't noticed a problem with Star San, but I can tell when I've been playing in the PBW.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #12
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade
Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts

Hahha coconut oil is where it's at, using StarSan was a stretch for me, since I don't really trust commercial chemicals, but it seems to be working well. I don't like the chemicals in most 'moisturizers'. Whereas a good coconut oil, well, that is, um, hm I did post this in the drunken ramblings I hope, very nice ...

Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

PBW ok I have to check that out, at first I thought maybe Pabst Blue/white (ribbon)???

Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #14
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

Could I start a fire by mixing Carlson Straight A (a lot of strong bases) with undiluted StarSan (a lot of strong acids?) Hm after drinking all this sake and it's Friday I feel almost obliged to give this a try in th driveway????????????

Old 11-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine73 View Post
Hahha coconut oil is where it's at, using StarSan was a stretch for me, since I don't really trust commercial chemicals, but it seems to be working well. I don't like the chemicals in most 'moisturizers'. Whereas a good coconut oil, well, that is, um, hm I did post this in the drunken ramblings I hope, very nice ...
Don't fear what Five Star produces... All good stuff for home brewers (and the big boys too).

Quote:
PBW ok I have to check that out, at first I thought maybe Pabst Blue/white (ribbon)???
Ummmmm... yeah...

Quote:
Could I start a fire by mixing Carlson Straight A (a lot of strong bases) with undiluted StarSan (a lot of strong acids?) Hm after drinking all this sake and it's Friday I feel almost obliged to give this a try in th driveway????????????
Ok, now you're cut off... No more sake for you Bubba... Put down the coconut oil, put your pants back on, and go back inside.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

Hahah in the name of science only. I need to celebrate getting five carboys of varoius meads going to day. It took like 9 hours work but I kn0ow i tiwill payoff evenutaly.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
porcupine73
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Fort Meade

I will never forget my high school chemistry teacher Ms. Borelli. ACID into BASE she would repeat over and over, well Ms. Borelli, wherever you are, this one is for you. I shall pour the, oh man which one was the acid, the sTAR san into the Straight A.

Or wait she might have meant to avoid a fire or injury, ok it's Striaght A into the oh what was the other one Star San that's it. Oh boy I should just go to bead maybe.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7739 Times on 5431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
My hands and arms are always in the star-san solution. Haven't noticed anything.
Yep, me too. I even "swish" my star-san around with my bare hands, and take stuff in and out of the star-san with my bare hands. No problem.

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
sacrifice
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Juneau, AK
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I have always submerged my hands and arms in StarSan when cleaning bottles without issue except for some drying a day or two later. However, I now use brewing gloves and try to keep my hands dry to prevent my hands from drying out.

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
45_70sharps

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts

I have starsan all over my skin all the time. fingertip to elbows, don't worry about it splashing on my face or anything.
My hands are rough and the rest of my skin is exposed to all sorts of elements, thorns, oils and chemicals used on cars, you name it.
That might be part of the difference with some people who say they are sensitive to starsan.
If you have soft skin and it's somewhat sensitive you might be prone to irritation from it and other things that don't bother some other people.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

porcupine73 Likes This