Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Newbie question
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
TheCacheGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 35
Likes Given: 1

Default Newbie question

Ok so I've been a wine maker for a few years. Looking to get into home brew. What's a good kit to start out with?


TheCacheGuy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Qhrumphf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 9,405
Liked 2330 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Default

Are you talking ingredient kit, or equipment kit?

As far as equipment kits, any of the starter kits from the online homebrew sites (Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew Supply, Midwest, etc) would be a good place to start.

As far as ingredient kits, I'd check the same places and go with an ale kit for a beer style you like. I almost never brew kits, so I wouldn't be much help past that.


__________________
Fermenting: Gose, Lichtenhainer
Souring/Funkifying: Brett C Old Ale, Lamebic, Flanders Red, Flanders Pale Ale, Oud Bruin, Session Kriek
Bottled: Imperial IPA, APA, American Amber, Scottish 60/-, Robust Porter, Strong Mild
Casked: Scottish 80/-
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C English Barleywine, Lamebic, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout, Wee Heavy
Qhrumphf is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 8,148
Liked 1139 Times on 927 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Default

There are equipment kits and ingredient kits. Which were you asking about?
RM-MN is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
TheCacheGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 35
Likes Given: 1

Default

Thanks, guess I should clarify. I'm going to add on to my wine making equipment. So is it better to find recipe or buy a recipe kit. And would be better to just buy a starter kit? And I have a few brew shops in the area to choose from. So getting equipment its no problem.
TheCacheGuy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Qhrumphf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 9,405
Liked 2330 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Default

If you're already making wine, you should have a lot of the same equipment and be familiar with it already. Anybody LHBS should be able to get you anything you're missing. As far as ingredients, nothing wrong with putting together a shopping list from someone else's recipe, or just using a kit. If you want to pick up a copy of Brewing Classic Styles, they give award winning recipes for every beer style, all extract based with additional info if you want to do it all-grain. I use that book as a starting point for a lot of my own recipes. Picking up an ingredient kit isn't too bad either, but you want to make sure the kit is fresh. Old ingredients plus old yeast = not the best beer you can make. The online shops seem to have good turnaround and fresh kits (so I've been told), can't say the same for your local shops.
__________________
Fermenting: Gose, Lichtenhainer
Souring/Funkifying: Brett C Old Ale, Lamebic, Flanders Red, Flanders Pale Ale, Oud Bruin, Session Kriek
Bottled: Imperial IPA, APA, American Amber, Scottish 60/-, Robust Porter, Strong Mild
Casked: Scottish 80/-
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C English Barleywine, Lamebic, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout, Wee Heavy
Qhrumphf is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
TheCacheGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 35
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf
If you're already making wine, you should have a lot of the same equipment and be familiar with it already. Anybody LHBS should be able to get you anything you're missing. As far as ingredients, nothing wrong with putting together a shopping list from someone else's recipe, or just using a kit. If you want to pick up a copy of Brewing Classic Styles, they give award winning recipes for every beer style, all extract based with additional info if you want to do it all-grain. I use that book as a starting point for a lot of my own recipes. Picking up an ingredient kit isn't too bad either, but you want to make sure the kit is fresh. Old ingredients plus old yeast = not the best beer you can make. The online shops seem to have good turnaround and fresh kits (so I've been told), can't say the same for your local shops.
Thank you so much. And yes I do have most of the equip. I will check out some recipes.
TheCacheGuy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,357
Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

Default

One of my favorite places to browse for ingredient kits is austinhomebrew.com. They have hundreds and hundreds of recipe kits, and if you know of a certain commercial beer you like you can even find a "clone kit" of that. I highly recommend them- good ingredients, fresh ingredients, and good instructions.

I would recommend making an ale, and not a lager until you have some experience with brewing beer and good temperature control. There are some great ales, of course, and depending on what you like we could give you some recommendations. Let us know if you like brown ales, stouts, wheat beers, etc, and we can help you pick out a recipe kit that is perfect for you.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
TheCacheGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 35
Likes Given: 1

Default

Thanks I'll check out the link.
TheCacheGuy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
PackerfaninSanDiego
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
PackerfaninSanDiego's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ramona, California
Posts: 1,535
Liked 179 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
One of my favorite places to browse for ingredient kits is austinhomebrew.com. They have hundreds and hundreds of recipe kits, and if you know of a certain commercial beer you like you can even find a "clone kit" of that. I highly recommend them- good ingredients, fresh ingredients, and good instructions.

I would recommend making an ale, and not a lager until you have some experience with brewing beer and good temperature control. There are some great ales, of course, and depending on what you like we could give you some recommendations. Let us know if you like brown ales, stouts, wheat beers, etc, and we can help you pick out a recipe kit that is perfect for you.
thanks for the link Yooper.they have my death beer .Stella Artois
__________________
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
PackerfaninSanDiego is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,357
Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1548

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
thanks for the link Yooper.they have my death beer .Stella Artois
Remember that Stella is a lager, so if you're not set up for lagers that could be an issue!

Most beginning beers are ales. Ales require roughly "room temperature" or cooler fermentation (cooler is better) while lagers require strict low temperatures in a narrow range for fermentation (48-52 degrees usually).


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie Question re:FG, though I'm not a newbie Moody_Copperpot Fermentation & Yeast 9 02-26-2014 02:34 AM
Malt Rating Question (newbie question) LumberjackJohn Recipes/Ingredients 3 12-09-2008 06:22 PM
Newbie Question Drennanb Extract Brewing 3 12-05-2008 12:43 AM
Hello, Newbie with a question MDbrewing Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 08-21-2007 11:33 AM
Another newbie question... davidr2340 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 02-25-2007 10:47 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS