Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > yeast starter without a stir plate

Old 11-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
RobertRGeorge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I am convinced that shaking the heck out of the starter wort to get lots of air into it before putting the yeast in works best for me. Then I can put an airlock on the flask and swirl the liquid around three or four times a day to get the yeast into suspension.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #12
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I for one don't like to babysit my starters and swirl all the time, but if that's your bag then go for it. I didn't say it wouldn't help. If it were me, I would just make two starters if that's what it took to hit the numbers, but then again I can be a little lazy sometimes.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRGeorge View Post
I am convinced that shaking the heck out of the starter wort to get lots of air into it before putting the yeast in works best for me. Then I can put an airlock on the flask and swirl the liquid around three or four times a day to get the yeast into suspension.
As already posted, airlocks are not idea for starters. You actually want gas exchange, not a one way street. Leaving the airlock in it means you're actually stunting the yeast growth, and not letting the starter needs to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
I for one don't like to babysit my starters and swirl all the time, but if that's your bag then go for it. I didn't say it wouldn't help. If it were me, I would just make two starters if that's what it took to hit the numbers, but then again I can be a little lazy sometimes.
IMO/IME, a stirplate is the ultimate in 'lazy starters'... Use either a tin foil cap, or one of the foam stoppers in the flask and you have zero issues (I'm using the foam stoppers these days, great product, and damned cheap too).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Fair enough--as I said, the one great thing about the stirplate is that it's set and forget, which is nice. For me, I like the "pre-game" aspect of swirling the starter every time I look at it. It gets me pumped for brew day!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post

IMO/IME, a stirplate is the ultimate in 'lazy starters'...
Exactly, but the OP doesn't have one.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
Exactly, but the OP doesn't have one.
With all the posts about making one, I don't see an excuse for not having one. Personally, I bought one since I couldn't get the magnets off of the plates they were connected to (from the hard drive). I tried making another but think I put the magnet in the wrong place, so it sucks. At least I have my Hanna 190M that works really well with my 2L and 3L flasks.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
RobertRGeorge
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 10

As already posted, airlocks are not idea for starters.

I am talking about shaking the living snot out of it before putting the yeast in. For me, works every time.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

I am talking about shaking the living snot out of it before putting the yeast in. For me, works every time.
You also posted (in the same post I quoted) Then I can put an airlock on the flask and swirl the liquid around three or four times a day

The purpose of swirling/shaking/stirplate is not [just] to get the yeast into suspension but to also degas and aerate the solution. Having the airlock means you're only allowing CO2/gas out, and nothing in.

Sanitized foil, or a foam stopper, will prevent anything bad from falling into the flask, while allowing for a gas exchange to happen. You'd be amazed (although maybe YOU wouldn't be) at how much of a difference using either of those (and with a stirplate) makes.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2068 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 871

Quote:

That's a step above no aeration and just sitting, and definitely above no starter at all, but still isn't as good as shaking or stir plate. And even then, you still need a bit of oxygen to get in there.

Again from Mr. Malty

5 gallons of 1.065 (assuming 1 pack of 97% viable yeast)

Simple starter- 2.59L
Simple with o2 at start- 1.94L
Intermittent shaking- 1.49L
Continuous aeration- 1.29L
Stir plate- 1L

If what you're doing works for you, by all means continue doing it. But I still think you're selling yourself a bit short that way.
In Bottles: Session Beers
In Fermenters: More Session Beers
Planned: Even More Session Beers

On Cask: Ordinary Bitter, Dark Mild

Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Not to mention wasting DME. Using 100 grams of DME on a stirplate versus 259 grams on a DME for the simple starter (or even 194 grams for the O2 at start) means I can make at least two starters for your one starter. Which also means I'll be spending less on DME than you are. I also typically do two starter steps so that I can make much smaller starters to get my target cell count. With fairly fresh yeast, this means my starters are not even 1/2 the size of a single starter. For higher OG batches, a third step means I can do it with even smaller starters (on a stirplate)...

Try running the numbers on yeastcalc.com and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Fermenting
K1: