Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > A Good Starting Point?

Old 11-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
LTownLiquorPig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Default A Good Starting Point?

Toying with the idea of all grain. Had never given it serious consideration, but a proper HBS has opened within a 45 minute drive. Not planning on jumping in all at once, going to accumulate gear and practice between now and next fall, starting with small batch or mini-mash BIAB on the stove top.

Right now I'm just trolling around, looking at pricing while checking out gear and set up ideas on HBT. I found this burner on ebay, shipping from Canada at a price that makes sense. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BAYOU-CLASSIC...item2c5fbe389a

I get that the Aluminum economy pot isn't ideal, but the burner seems to be a good deal for what I can find locally, or online elsewhere in Canada. Any input on quality of burner or where else I should look in Canada (Nova Scotia ideally) would be great!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1225 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

That burner would be fine - I use a Bayou for my own burner, too. I'd use the aluminum pot as your HLT and still look at getting a real 15 gallon boil kettle for your main boiling. Ontario Beer Kegs has a 15 gallon 2-weld stainless steel pot for $120 right now, that's what I use. They have $15 flat-rate shipping, so maximize the value and load up on some other things you may need too (PBW, Star-San, ingredients for your first few batches, etc.)
LTownLiquorPig Likes This 
Old 11-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
LTownLiquorPig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

I stalk OBK on the regular. Hoping I win the Keggle they're starting to sell from their facebook draw! I'm thinking single vessel BIAB is the way to go for me, so a keggle, good burner and a good wort chiller would mean I'm all set until I turn pro .........