Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What are the best Mr. Beer add ons?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #21
WoodHokie4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: , Delaware
Posts: 127
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

My first batch ever was an octoberfest where i added molasses and brown sugar. It ended up really good. Ive moved on to better methods, but the mr. Beer kits hold a place in the casual homebrewer community. Check out the mr. Beer website and search recipes by LME type...it'll list combinations of malts to use and other "you supply" ingredients.

Basically, anything fermentable will work and anything one might add to traditional brew processes


WoodHokie4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 64,712
Liked 5739 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Another experiement I would like to see is if sparging really makes a difference.

And perhaps, sanitizing every thing in site vs being sloppy.

Also, using too much yeast.

I think comparing different brews while tinkering with the process doesnt prove much of anything unless you use the same exact boiled brew against various ways to achieve the beer.
Yes, sparging makes a difference. Try a no-sparge wort vs a traditionally sparged wort (or look at all the threads here on the forum about it) and see what you think.

Sanitizing isn't important, unless you want to prevent possible infections in the beer. You may or may not end up with drinkable beer.

"Too much yeast" is very hard to do on a homebrew level, but theoretically possible. The results aren't that bad, though, compared to underpitching.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #23
F250
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jefferson City, MO
Posts: 516
Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno1ryno View Post
Another experiement I would like to see is if sparging really makes a difference.

And perhaps, sanitizing every thing in site vs being sloppy.

Also, using too much yeast.

I think comparing different brews while tinkering with the process doesnt prove much of anything unless you use the same exact boiled brew against various ways to achieve the beer.
Um, uh, are you trying to convince yourself that Mr Beer is the equal to all grain brewing?

Also, I think it's a mistake to talk yourself out of proper sanitation.

Just sayin....

Rick
F250 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #24
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Um, uh, are you trying to convince yourself that Mr Beer is the equal to all grain brewing?

Also, I think it's a mistake to talk yourself out of proper sanitation.

Just sayin....

Rick
Never said that. I was talking about the barrel.

In fact, Mr. Beer premade cans are boring and I have already bought grains, hops, Briess LME and yeast outside of Mr. Beer stuff.
ryno1ryno is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:53 AM   #25
snowtires
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 505
Liked 60 Times on 44 Posts

Default

Your beating a dead horse here. It seems your trying to reinvent the wheel. Many of the people on here are very experienced. They pretty much invented the home brewing we know today,and have pioneered many of the methods used. Your best bet is to listen to people like yooper and be glad they answered your questions. I know I am.
That being said yes the fermenter is a fermenter. The cans of beer are cans of beer, and if you go grains good, if you go all grain even better. Good luck on your brewing adventures
__________________
Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(
snowtires is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #26
ryno1ryno
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 317
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default

I already got good info from Punx and Yooper... I enjoy when someone provides constructive feedback.
ryno1ryno is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #27
royal1911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Navarre, Florida
Posts: 218
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

I don't care what anyone says, I've made some really good beer with mr. Beer kits. I brew all grain now but im still proud of my mr. Beer ipas. I did 2 of them. I did the high court canadian draft with 1 lb of dme and 1 oz of cascade. Turned out great. I did another one with the west coast pale ale, 1 lb dme, and 1oz of cascade. While not as good as my all grain now beers, they were really good. I also used us-05 for the yeast.
royal1911 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #28
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,614
Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal1911 View Post
I don't care what anyone says, I've made some really good beer with mr. Beer kits. I brew all grain now but im still proud of my mr. Beer ipas. I did 2 of them. I did the high court canadian draft with 1 lb of dme and 1 oz of cascade. Turned out great. I did another one with the west coast pale ale, 1 lb dme, and 1oz of cascade. While not as good as my all grain now beers, they were really good. I also used us-05 for the yeast.
1 oz in an IPA? what size batch was this, IBUs?
mattd2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #29
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 8,033
Liked 1093 Times on 906 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
1 oz in an IPA? what size batch was this, IBUs?
1 ounce of Cascade in a 2 gallon Mr. Beer batch would be like 2 1/2 to 3 ounces in a 5 1/4 gallon batch. It should add a lot to that small batch.
RM-MN is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #30
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,614
Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
1 ounce of Cascade in a 2 gallon Mr. Beer batch would be like 2 1/2 to 3 ounces in a 5 1/4 gallon batch. It should add a lot to that small batch.
Just thinking also that the extract is already hopped so that would be 1 oz + whatever is in the kit already in 2 gallons. Didn't realise that Mr. Beer was only 2 gallons, the Cooper's starter kit which is similar but different they sell over here starts you off at 6 gallons!


mattd2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brewing Beer, Drinking Beer and Managing Beer Gut permo General Beer Discussion 101 03-11-2014 07:44 PM
NEW craft beer store in Minneapolis- Elevated Beer, Wine & Spirits SurlyBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-07-2013 01:42 PM
Announcing Craft Beer Network, A Craft Beer Community Created By Craft Beer Lovers jbrookeiv Commercial Brew Discussion 8 04-05-2013 02:49 PM
Takara Tomy Beer Hour: The Ultimate Handy Beer Server ultravista General Beer Discussion 9 10-30-2012 07:51 PM
Fruit beer experiment: Adding strawberries to chilled beer to avoid dryness bigbeergeek Recipes/Ingredients 10 04-26-2010 11:05 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS