Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cleaners (keg, carboy, lines, etc) > Use my compressor to run Cleaner through a Corney

Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Toy4Rick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Use my compressor to run Cleaner through a Corney

Hey gang,

Rather than use CO2 to push cleaner through a keg and lines, has anyone rigged up their compressor to do the job?

Can't imagine it would be that tough our cost that much

Or, am I missing something and shouldn't do it

Thanks in advance
Toy4Rick

Why bother

Old 11-23-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 189 Posts

Another really easy solution I saw in byo is attaching a qd to a 2 liter soda bottle and conncecting that to the lines and squeeze the bottle to push sanatizer/cleaner through the lines. I'm pretty sure the write up is on there sight. Sorry I can't answer your question but hopefully I helped a little

Old 11-23-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1035 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Yes, I use compressed air to push around cleaners and rinse water on kegs and fermentors. Just one caveat: make sure you have an oil droplet filter in line. Beer and oil don't mix (destroys head).

Old 11-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #4
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

One advantage of pushing the sanitizer/cleaner out with CO2 is that you purge most of the oxygen out. If you then rack the beer over with a co2 pusher cap that fills the keg through the beer out QD, there's very limited oxygen exposure.

Many air compressor tanks have trace amounts of oil inside that theoretically could cause problems.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
bdjohns1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman
One advantage of pushing the sanitizer/cleaner out with CO2 is that you purge most of the oxygen out. If you then rack the beer over with a co2 pusher cap that fills the keg through the beer out QD, there's very limited oxygen exposure.

Many air compressor tanks have trace amounts of oil inside that theoretically could cause problems.
I run my compressed air through a oil pre-filter and then a MotorGuard submicron filter when I use it to push liquid around.

http://motorguard.com/air_2.html

Only time I use it on beer is to airblow out my HERMS coil, though.