Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Acid testing sour wort/beer?
Old 11-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Liked 2259 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 2371

Default Acid testing sour wort/beer?

Listened to the Dan Carey interview on Sunday Session from a while back. He recommended a wine acid test kit for sour mash/wort/lacto ferments. At least if I understood correctly, he said the acid % is what's important, not the pH. First time I've heard or read about this. Who uses an acid test or knows anything about it?

The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 245 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 161

I screwed around with acid titration for sour beers based on that suggestion as well. Using a wine acid test kit works, but you really need to dilute the beer with distilled water (especially if it is darker), and place it in a wide white-backed container to observe the color change. I doubt it's necessary, but when you are trying to dial in a beer as precisely and repeated as New Glarus it isn’t a bad idea. For me, taste and pH are enough to get the job done.

Check out The Mad Fermentationist for my adventures in fermentation and my book: American Sour Beers!

Mad Fementationist t-shirts are available through December 8th, 2015!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
Liked 616 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 364

I've recently used an acid titration kit for a red wine must to determine the total acidity. Fairly simple and painless process, and the kit is only about $10 from most LHBS. There's plenty of solutions to check 50+ batches (maybe more). My understanding is that the lye solution can/will change over time and give inaccurate results, but the overall experience was fun to do.

With the dark red wine must I was using I needed to dilute with distilled water to a rose color. Since the distilled water is neutral pH no adjustments need to be made to the process. I DID find out that your starting amount of wort/must needs to be the amount indicated in your instructions prior to dilution.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Liked 126 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I think the other option would be to do a full proper titration to figure out the total acid content. Essentially that's what the test kits are just with visual indicators rather than using a bench pH meter and a stirplate using a burette to dose with the alkali.
Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.