The HBS Experience - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > The HBS Experience

Old 11-19-2005, 11:34 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

I love my visits to the HBS. It's like a clubhouse.

Today I went there with a 22 of my Caramel Vanilla because I wanted some objective opinions. The guys who usually work on weekends weren't there, but there was someone new and another customer with a 22 of his beer (a 2 year old pumpkin).

They both were wowwed by the C-V. Another customer came in and tried and he was wowwed too. Made me feel good to see their faces light up after taking the first sip.

The pumpkin was awesome. Highly hopped, which provided a dry after-taste. The pumpkin and spices were mellow and provided a nice orange hue.

The HBS ALWAYS has 3-4 kegs on tap, so I tried a Habanero which was so much different than I had expected. The heat was absent and there was just this nice smoked pepper flavor that was almost like a Chiplotle. They double as a homegrow shop and have a homegrow display room so their peppers are fresh (and free for anyone who wants a couple).

I also tried some home-made Sprecher rootbeer which had a thick, creamy head and yummy sweet flavor. I might make a rootbeer next.

Right before I checked out I sampled their stout. It was rich, dark, chocolatey and had a thick, creamy, dark head on it. Made me all the more excited to try my stout.

I love the HBS. People walk in, we all discuss our upcoming project, sample each others trophy beers, buy our stuff and go home to brew up our next batch so we can share it with our friends and strangers. It's a feeling of belonging, of making someone's day a little better and making a new friend. There are no obligations and no expectations. No one's upset if you don't bring a sampler and their more than happy to give their away along with any needed advice or tips.

Man, what a great hobby.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Leicestershire, UK
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a great shop!

My LHBS is friendly, but very confined (only 140 sq feet!). No tasting of other peoples brew, but the proprieter has asked me to bring in my brews to taste if I have problems so that she can help / give advice.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

May 2005
Buda, Tx
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cool shop. Mine is relaxed but more business like than what your describing. They don't "got beer".

Old 11-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

Sounds good.

My nearest is passionate aboutr beer and 30 years in the making. But there stock level is poor and expensive. They only stock 3kg bags of grain and if I want to order 25kg it's 33 compared to ther more usuall 25.

I like to support the local store but when it comes down to it I'm not going to throw money away. There are 2 much better stores another 10 minutes drive further.

Old 11-20-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

The Oak Barrel in Berekley, CA is like that. Homer almost always has some of his homebrew in the kegger. Everyone working there knows homebrewing. They have brewing parties and BBQs. Haven't found a place like that in Oregon. The odd part of it is, the place I go to in Corvallis is owned and staffed by people that are also in one of the local homebrew clubs. They're rather stiff & professional about everything. I suspect it's because they're as much or more of a retail wine store. Even winos who make their own seem to be VERY serious about the process.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

my HBS, DeFalco's in Houston, TX) is kinda like that too. nice clean shop, fresh ingredients, and usually busy. the guy's are very knowledgable (Scott Birdwell = owner). Scott writes a colum in the Southwest Brewing News paper. They are real involved with the Dixie Cup, Sanint Arnold's Brewing Co., etc. I was there Thursday and they had 4 beers on tap. Wee Sheepf***er Scotch Ale, Sassion, Octoberfest, and i cant remeber the other. good brews, good people. i'm like a kid in a candy store when i go!
i agree cheesefood. great hobby to be apart of.

Old 11-20-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
El Pistolero

Recipes 

May 2005
Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
my HBS, DeFalco's in Houston, TX) is kinda like that too. nice clean shop, fresh ingredients, and usually busy. the guy's are very knowledgable (Scott Birdwell = owner). Scott writes a colum in the Southwest Brewing News paper. They are real involved with the Dixie Cup, Sanint Arnold's Brewing Co., etc. I was there Thursday and they had 4 beers on tap. Wee Sheepf***er Scotch Ale, Sassion, Octoberfest, and i cant remeber the other. good brews, good people. i'm like a kid in a candy store when i go!
i agree cheesefood. great hobby to be apart of.
I didn't know they had samples on tap! I guess I ought to talk to them more when I'm in there, and quit being in such a hurry.
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 11-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
dancingbarefoot
Recipes 

Oct 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
I didn't know they had samples on tap! I guess I ought to talk to them more when I'm in there, and quit being in such a hurry.
Me neither!

I've only been there twice so far, but now that I think about it, there were some kegs at the back of the store. D'oh! I could've sampled some.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Relax, don't hurry, and try their homebrew.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:44 PM   #10
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

no kidding! they are right next to the hops fridge, across from the liquid extract drums. they have little plastic cups sitting on the keggerator. they usually have at least 2 to sample. i've never had a bad one......