Gluten Free Beer not carbonating - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Beer not carbonating

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
ericb74
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 4



Hi all,
I recently brewed a Gluten Free Beer for my wife. After fermentation and bottling, I let it sit for 1 week and no carbonation has happened. Obvioulsy I am waiting to see in another couple weeks if it kicks in, but wanted to post this and see if anyone has any feedback. Here is my recipe:
6.6 lbs of Sorghum Syrup from Midwest Supplies.
Boiled for 60 mins.
1oz. Tattingham German Hops for 60 mins
Added Two cut quarters of Orange in Wort at 30 minutes.
Added 1oz of Fuggles at 10 mins
Added .5 lbs of Honey at flame out.
Remove Oranges and Hops
Cooled to 80 degrees.
Initial Gravity was 1.050 at 78 degrees on Oct 24th.
Fermented in Primary for 1 week. Had some issues with temperature so moved to a warmer place. Started fermenting. Move to secondary at 10 days.
Sat in secondary for 1 week. Final Gravity showed 1.005 on Nov. 11th, so I moved ito bottles. Sat for a week and tried one. No Carbonation.

I plan on waiting 2 more weeks to see if it kicks in. Anything glaring that shows I made a mistake? The Final Gravity seems pretty low...
THanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
thanantos
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
, MICHIGAN
Posts: 283
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Looks good, I'd just let it sit AT LEAST a week longer before worrying. If that doesn't work then try moving it somewhere where it is a degree or more warmer. My experience says that temperature is huge with carbonation, and with the weather turning colder your beer may have dropped a degree or two which is affecting carbonation.

Although I think waiting before worrying is best, I don't think you are off base checking after a week. Many of my beers are carbed after a week, but some aren't.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
rlbois1
 
rlbois1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Hughesville, Maryland
Posts: 79
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb74 View Post
Hi all,
I recently brewed a Gluten Free Beer for my wife. After fermentation and bottling, I let it sit for 1 week and no carbonation has happened. Obvioulsy I am waiting to see in another couple weeks if it kicks in, but wanted to post this and see if anyone has any feedback. Here is my recipe:
6.6 lbs of Sorghum Syrup from Midwest Supplies.
Boiled for 60 mins.
1oz. Tattingham German Hops for 60 mins
Added Two cut quarters of Orange in Wort at 30 minutes.
Added 1oz of Fuggles at 10 mins
Added .5 lbs of Honey at flame out.
Remove Oranges and Hops
Cooled to 80 degrees.
Initial Gravity was 1.050 at 78 degrees on Oct 24th.
Fermented in Primary for 1 week. Had some issues with temperature so moved to a warmer place. Started fermenting. Move to secondary at 10 days.
Sat in secondary for 1 week. Final Gravity showed 1.005 on Nov. 11th, so I moved ito bottles. Sat for a week and tried one. No Carbonation.

I plan on waiting 2 more weeks to see if it kicks in. Anything glaring that shows I made a mistake? The Final Gravity seems pretty low...
THanks!
Dumb question; you did add bottling sugar (corn sugar, honey, etc.) to the bottling bucket on bottling day?
__________________
Rick
<><

Previous:*Kitchen Sink Pale Ale, Annapolis Canadian Ale, *Dual Spires Black Lodge Ale, *3 Falls Blonde Ale, *5 Star American IPA, *Lucky 13 Imperial IPA, *English Pale Ale
Bottled/Pigged: Oak Aged Annapolis 90 Minute IPA(11/17/12), *Black Hops American IPA(11/25/12), *Centennial Honey Ale(12/29/12), *Rick's Rasberry Ale(1/18/13)
Secondary: Empty
Primary: Empty
In Planning: *Blackberry Ale

All (mostly) *Gluten Free; All (most of) the time...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Cainepolo12
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 142
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Is this in a temperature controlled area? If so, I would say just give it more time. My first brew took a couple weeks to really carb and 3-4 to get a nice head.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
igliashon
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Oakland, CA
Posts: 936
Liked 75 Times on 45 Posts


I've only rarely had a batch carbonate in a week. Even at 3 weeks, the carbonation is often not fully adequate. Just be patient, mate.

ericb74 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
ericb74
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 4


Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbois1 View Post
Dumb question; you did add bottling sugar (corn sugar, honey, etc.) to the bottling bucket on bottling day?
I did. I used half a cup of cane sugar boiled in a cup of water. Let it cool down to room temp then added prior to bottling.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
ericb74
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 4


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainepolo12 View Post
Is this in a temperature controlled area? If so, I would say just give it more time. My first brew took a couple weeks to really carb and 3-4 to get a nice head.
Its in a basement room which is staying around 70 degrees. The beer itself is probably at 66-70 degrees.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,921
Liked 3189 Times on 1884 Posts


The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbonation is actually foolproof, you add sugar, the yeast eats it and farts co2 which carbs the beer. It's not a complex system, and there's very little that can go wrong...It just takes time.....
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
igliashon
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Oakland, CA
Posts: 936
Liked 75 Times on 45 Posts


LOL, I had a feeling Revvy would weigh in on this! Spreading the gospel of "patience in bottle conditioning" as always!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Gluten Free Beer superjab7 Gluten Free Brewing 8 12-04-2011 08:16 PM
Gluten-Free Beer???? sugimon Gluten Free Brewing 13 08-09-2010 05:16 PM
Gluten-Free Beer Llama Recipes/Ingredients 6 04-21-2008 07:47 AM
Gluten-Free Beer pilkinga General Beer Discussion 4 12-27-2005 05:27 PM


Forum Jump