4 oz Mosaic: IPA or APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krovitz

Reaction score
Hello All,

I got 4 oz Mosaic I want to use this weekend. I believe they're 12.5%. I've been playing with calculators and figure I can make a 3 gallon all grain IPA or a 5 gallon APA. Never used these hops before. Just wanted to get some opinions. Just a simple grain bill, 2 row, carapils, some crystal 20 or possibly Vienna.

IPA (3 gallons)

.6 oz 60 min
1.2 oz. 10 min
1.2 oz. 1 min
1 oz. Dry hop 5 days

APA (5 gallons)

1 oz. FWH
1 oz. 10 min
1 oz. 5 min
1 oz. Flameout

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Either would work. Hopefully you're doing a full volume boil with no top off water. Use a touch of sugar with the IPA if you want added dryness.

For the 3 gallon IPA (under a 4 gallon boil) at about 1.065-1.070 OG, a good hop schedule would be:

0.50 oz @ 60
0.75 to 1.00 oz @ 20
1.25 to 1.50 oz @ 10
1.75 to 2.00 oz @ 0 (aroma steep)
2.00 oz @ dryhop 8 days

Thanks for the help. I'm a stovetop brewer so I can do full boils for 3 gallon batches but I need to top off for 5 gallon batches. Thanks again!

You're technically not doing a full boil then since you're topping off. For IPAs especially, full volume boils are kind of essential.

When I choose to brew indoors, I'm a stovetop brewer as well. You should be able to boil 5 or 4 gallons with no problem, assuming your kettle is large enough... especially if you have an aluminium kettle and a gas range.

Just the 5 gallon APA would need topping off. I'm limited by my kettle that's why the IPA would be a smaller 3 gallon batch.

Latest posts

Back