HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Ends Today!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers and Stir Plates > Stir plate not swirling

Old 11-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
strongarm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Stir plate not swirling

Just built my stir plate. I can get a swirl going in a mason jar but when I put my 2l flask on it the stir bar just rattles and flings to the side. I'm using magnets placed in the center of the fan from a hard drive. Controller thing for the speed and 3/4" or 1" stir bar with no bump in the middle. Any suggestions? 4 hours messing with this thing and I'm about to go just buy one.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts

If you hold the flask about an inch above the plate surface and turn it on does it work? Sometimes it takes a little tinkering to get it dialed in just right. Mine was doing something similar> I had to raise it up off the surface slightly and it worked

Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
strongarm
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

I tried all the way from touching the magnet to being 3-4 inches away. No luck. I have to position the stir bar in the center of the flask to get the magnet to even attract it then it rattles and flings to the side.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Sounds to me like you may be running the the fan at too high of a speed. Try starting at full power so the fan starts and then quickly (like at the same time you turn it on) dial it down to half power. That's what I have to do with mine or it will immediately throw the stir bar.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah, run it as slow as possible. Mine throws at any higher speeds but will run for 24 hours no problem on lowest setting. You don't need a full vortex, just to keep the yeast from settling to the bottom.

I put some dip-tube o-rings on either side of my stir-bar and it spins much better now. Of course mine has a fulcrum in the center, using a 1.5" stir-bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts

Check to make sure you have the magnets on the fan facing the right direction too.