Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Tripel stopped carbonating

Old 11-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
BitterBomz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tripel stopped carbonating

I recently bottled a batch of tripel. Used wlp500 for the batch. The recipe called for 1 1/4 cup wheat DME for a primer, so I boiled a solution. I bottled on October 30th, it is now November 20th. I just cracked open a bottle and there is hardly any of the foggy co2 gas normally released when opening a bottle, and there is almost no head. I can taste very small bubbles on my tongue, but am a little concerned with the carbonation progress.

Is it possible to repitch priming sugar and then re-bottle at this point? I've never messed with DME as a primer, and at this point I'm wo.wondering if I didn't use enough, or if I should just keep waiting. Any thoughts? Again, this is my first time using DME as a primer, so maybe I just need to be patient, but I'm not entirely sure. ABV is 9.0% BTW...

Old 11-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6223 Times on 4435 Posts
Likes Given: 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterBomz View Post
I recently bottled a batch of tripel. Used wlp500 for the batch. The recipe called for 1 1/4 cup wheat DME for a primer, so I boiled a solution. I bottled on October 30th, it is now November 20th. I just cracked open a bottle and there is hardly any of the foggy co2 gas normally released when opening a bottle, and there is almost no head. I can taste very small bubbles on my tongue, but am a little concerned with the carbonation progress.

Is it possible to repitch priming sugar and then re-bottle at this point? I've never messed with DME as a primer, and at this point I'm wo.wondering if I didn't use enough, or if I should just keep waiting. Any thoughts? Again, this is my first time using DME as a primer, so maybe I just need to be patient, but I'm not entirely sure. ABV is 9.0% BTW...
High ABV beers take a lot longer to carb up, plus DME takes a lot longer to carb up than corn sugar, so you've got two "a lot longers" there.

Just put them someplace warm for another few weeks and try again after at least 3 more weeks of at least 70 degrees.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
BitterBomz
Recipes 

That's what I had heard, which is why I implied the "patience" remedial. Two contributing factors of a delayed carbonation process..ugh. I figured, just wanted to get a second opinion. Thanks Yooper!