Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #181
Petho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the advice. I well experienced at doing nothing!

Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #182
Petho
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did a search and could not find the answer to this one: How does a sluggish yeast affect the taste of a beer?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #183
Xaphoeous
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 811 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default blowoff hose fell out

I just brewed this last night. I used a blowoff hose since my batch was a bit over 5 gallons in my 6.5 gallon bucket. This morning I noticed that the hose had come off somehow (no, it's not clogged, looks like I never even attached it but I am certain I did). Since CO2 displaces O2 in lower places (valleys, bottoms of buckets, etc) I assume that any O2 that might have made it into my bucket through the 3/8" hole in the lid would easily be removed/displaced back out the hole be the CO2 being created by the beer.

Am I right? Or might I end up with some funky things going on due to the bucket not being sealed? I hope no dust, junk, bacteria, etc got into my bucket!

"Just chug a few. Then all of the sudden it's time to be drunk, and you don't have the time for whatever else you were doing." -TallDan

Old 02-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #184
sideshow_ben
Recipes 

Not so much an Aberdeen or All-Grain question but general brewing. That said, I know plenty of people who leave the carboy open for 12-24 hours and then close it up with an airlock or blowhose. That tiny little hole you have, plus sanitized equipment, AND the fact that you have an acidic and hop-filled wort, will keep you safe.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #185
ooguyx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
It's a darn good beer. The Whitbred yeast is key. Makes it nice and mellow. If you want it just a bit more mellow, cut out the roast barley and take your IBU's down to 20 and mash at around 157-158. It will really fit the Northern Brown and be a bit maltier than the recipe below.

That is what I have in my notes for any tweaks I'd make.
How can I take the IBU's to 20? Also, if I leave the roasted barley will that take the maltiness over the top?
Keg 1: Air
Keg 2: Air
TAD: Cream Stout

Old 03-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #186
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 661 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooguyx View Post
How can I take the IBU's to 20? Also, if I leave the roasted barley will that take the maltiness over the top?
Roasted barley lends more of a roast coffee bean flavor than a malt flavor. Removing it takes out the very small "bite" that exists in the regular recipe.

Jut reduce your hops to lower the IBU's.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #187
ooguyx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Roasted barley lends more of a roast coffee bean flavor than a malt flavor. Removing it takes out the very small "bite" that exists in the regular recipe.

Jut reduce your hops to lower the IBU's.
I was thinking of 1oz of Goldings for a 5 gal batch, split at 1/2 @60 mins, 1/2 @15mins, is that enough of a reduction?
Keg 1: Air
Keg 2: Air
TAD: Cream Stout

Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #188
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Many thanks for this recipe. I used safale-04 and let it sit in primary for three weeks. It's now been in the keg for about a 3-4 weeks and it's starting to come together. I hit OG right on, but I don't feel this really tastes like Newcastle. It's a nice beer, very mellow, but mine's a bit too... dry? I might have off flavors as my inline O2 system wasn't working properly and my ground water was so cold wort was coming out of cfc at 40 degrees. I never really was able to dial the temp in properly.

Anyway, thanks for the recipe. I'm enjoying the beer.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 08-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #189
jamesseth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just brewed this for my father-in-law and it tastes great! Very clean/refreshing/malty!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #190
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Going to make this my 4th BIAB this weekend. I really like the mellowness of Newcastle as a nice change of pace from my usual hoppy beers.

John