Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew- how to use if

Old 11-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Especially if it gets exposed to the sun.

-a.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
poppalarge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGoat

Uh, yeah...depending on where in the world you are, it definetly can. Even though it's been bottled, you still need to treat it right temperature-wise. Unless you have some sort of temperature-controlled shed or outbuilding to put them in, I wouldn't just set the outside and expect to have decent beer the next time you go to sample one.
So what are we talking here?

I have an outbuilding, it's cold this time of year but its not what you'd call controlled.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

Liked 3026 Times on 2607 Posts
Likes Given: 2142

You wouldn't want it to freeze for one. It'd be too cold at night to allow further conditioning at a normal rate.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
jCOSbrew
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What was your fermentation temp range? High fermentation temps are the most common source of off flavors and would be most obvious in a light beer. Also, you probably know that using additional LME or DME instead of adding sugar will produce better beer.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #15
BattleGoat
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

@poppalarge: You really have to give us more information. You can't just "set it and forget it" with beer - it is a perishable product.

Exactly how "cold" is it this time of year where you are? Also, a little info about the recipe you brewed would go a long way. You say it was a "lager" - what temp did you ferment at? What yeast? All of these things are important.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
poppalarge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleGoat
@poppalarge: You really have to give us more information. You can't just "set it and forget it" with beer - it is a perishable product.

Exactly how "cold" is it this time of year where you are? Also, a little info about the recipe you brewed would go a long way. You say it was a "lager" - what temp did you ferment at? What yeast? All of these things are important.
It was my first beer from a kit. I've no idea what I was doing

Temp outside is between 6C and 12C right now

Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #17
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

That's too cold,unless you were lagring or something. 18-20C at least for botle carb/conditioning. You need the yeast to remain fully active to carb & condition the beer at the normal rate of 3-4 weeks for an average gravity ale.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #18
poppalarge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's been bottled for 10 weeks

Old 11-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #19
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

If it was left to condition in colder temps even for a few days,carb can suffer. I've had this problem for a couple of brews now. Starting to get over it though. I cleaned a couple cases of bottles again thinking that would help. It did,a little. Givin them more time this time...