UPS shipped Ingredients and the holidays - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > UPS shipped Ingredients and the holidays

Old 11-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
dmashl
Recipes 

Aug 2012
De Pere, Wisconsin
Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts

I ordered a kit on Friday, shipped today(monday). I usually get my package on Thursday, but with the holiday, I will not get them till next Monday. My question is...If my package is sitting in a truck somewhere for that long, will possible cold weather affect the ingredients?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
tonyp063
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2012
Baltimore, MD
Liked 43 Times on 15 Posts

What are the ingredients?
Where are they coming from?

You're in WI, correct?
Grains, LME, DME, yeast (dry), etc. are really not going to be affected at all. Liquid yeast, maybe; if it's sitting in a truck that's outside & in freezing temps.

Relax. Don't worry..............

Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
IffyG
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Nashville
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I'd take ingredients sitting in a cold truck over ingredients baking in a hot truck anyday.

lgilmore Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2011
!, !
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts

I wouldn't worry about them being cold either. You could check to see if you could pick the package up at the depot.Might save some time if they have someone there.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
dmashl
Recipes 

Aug 2012
De Pere, Wisconsin
Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts

ok guys thanx for easing my mind. I agree cold is better than hot. the ingredients are coming from AHS in Austin,TX and going to Green Bay(Home of them Packers). Usually the package gets to Northern Il by Wed. night. Delivered on Thurs, but wasn't thinking about the holiday when I ordered.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3619 Times on 3108 Posts

I used to go to the UPS hub that was a bit further up the street from where I worked in Cleveland. I'd just go up there after work to the hub & pick it up. They used to save back packages to certain outlying areas till they had enough to be worth the longer trip.
That's why I check the Fed-Ex home delivery option now. They hire extra drivers/trucks/vans during peak times. I get my stuff tipically a day or more sooner than expected. I've gotten stuff from midwest 2 days after ordering.
Ordering stuff from the nearest state to me keeps things timely if I use Fed-Ex. Stuff arrives in great condition as well. Even from amazon.

New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU