Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Choosing A Conical Fermenter
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #71
williamssvg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Hi,

I came across your post on your Glacier tank experience while doing some research of my own.

I am looking to purchase one with the intention of using it as a uni-tank; for both primary and secondary fermentation and then directly transfer to a keg for serving.

I am really interested in using it as a pressurized fermenter, how has your experience been with this? I am hoping I won't have to do any forced carbonation. From what I have seen, people who ferment under pressure first use and air lock and then attach the pressure relief valve after. Any idea why you can't use the pressure valve from the start of fermentation and adjust as pressure in the tank changes.

Please share your sources with information on pressurized fermentation.

Thanks a lot.


williamssvg is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #72
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bsquared's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,830
Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Brewers Hardware in now making jacketed home brew size conicals too.

http://www.brewershardware.com/


Bsquared is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #73
Boar Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Boar Beer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central NH, NH
Posts: 579
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamssvg View Post
Hi,

I came across your post on your Glacier tank experience while doing some research of my own.

I am looking to purchase one with the intention of using it as a uni-tank; for both primary and secondary fermentation and then directly transfer to a keg for serving.

I am really interested in using it as a pressurized fermenter, how has your experience been with this? I am hoping I won't have to do any forced carbonation. From what I have seen, people who ferment under pressure first use and air lock and then attach the pressure relief valve after. Any idea why you can't use the pressure valve from the start of fermentation and adjust as pressure in the tank changes.

Please share your sources with information on pressurized fermentation.

Thanks a lot.
williamssvg
I have not used our fermenters for carbonation but i would not go with a pressure valve from the start. During the first week of active fermentation that small valve could get plugged up and then you would have huge problems. we blew the top of a 42 gallon fermentor when our air lock got plugged (should have used a blow off tube) and boy did that make a mess....
What we do is put the beer in our kegs and add some sugar and do the carbonation in the keg. Lots of stuff on the sight about how much to use ect...
__________________
I was married for 10 years before my wife knew I drank.
Then one day I made a mistake and came home from work sober


Minus33.com
Boar Beer is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #74
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dog House Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,011
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar Beer View Post
williamssvg
I have not used our fermenters for carbonation but i would not go with a pressure valve from the start. During the first week of active fermentation that small valve could get plugged up and then you would have huge problems. we blew the top of a 42 gallon fermentor when our air lock got plugged (should have used a blow off tube) and boy did that make a mess....
What we do is put the beer in our kegs and add some sugar and do the carbonation in the keg. Lots of stuff on the sight about how much to use ect...
Is there a reason that you're not using a bright tank to carbonate? I kind of like the natural carbonation idea.
__________________
Are You Going to Drink all That?
Dog House Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #75
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hughesville, Maryland
Posts: 732
Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar Beer
williamssvg I have not used our fermenters for carbonation but i would not go with a pressure valve from the start. During the first week of active fermentation that small valve could get plugged up and then you would have huge problems. we blew the top of a 42 gallon fermentor when our air lock got plugged (should have used a blow off tube) and boy did that make a mess.... What we do is put the beer in our kegs and add some sugar and do the carbonation in the keg. Lots of stuff on the sight about how much to use ect...
I use a pressure relief valve as emergancy only and use a blow off tube for 75% fermentation then close the valve to the blow off and let it carb up. Works perfect and never had any issues. Pressure relief valve has a1.25" inlet and should not get plugged easy.
MaxOut is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #76
williamssvg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
Is there a reason that you're not using a bright tank to carbonate? I kind of like the natural carbonation idea.
I want to hopefully get everything done in the conical if possible. Since the Glacier conicals are rated upwards of 15PSI I figured it was to allow you to save the CO2 from fermentation to naturally carbonate the beer.

Has anyone been successful in doing this?
williamssvg is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #77
williamssvg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar Beer View Post
williamssvg
I have not used our fermenters for carbonation but i would not go with a pressure valve from the start. During the first week of active fermentation that small valve could get plugged up and then you would have huge problems. we blew the top of a 42 gallon fermentor when our air lock got plugged (should have used a blow off tube) and boy did that make a mess....
What we do is put the beer in our kegs and add some sugar and do the carbonation in the keg. Lots of stuff on the sight about how much to use ect...
Wondering, what would cause the relief valve to get blocked? If you leave enough head space in the fermenter I guess you should not have the problem?
williamssvg is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #78
williamssvg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
I use a pressure relief valve as emergancy only and use a blow off tube for 75% fermentation then close the valve to the blow off and let it carb up. Works perfect and never had any issues. Pressure relief valve has a1.25" inlet and should not get plugged easy.
What is your pressure relief valve set to? I was just wondering how you are able to know how much CO2 is being produced during fermentation to make sure you end up with the right amount of CO2 in your beer at the end.
williamssvg is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #79
fpweeks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
fpweeks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: shohola, pa
Posts: 718
Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Brewhemoth just made my decision really easy.......
http://www.brewhemoth.com/black-friday-sale-25-1
__________________
One way or another, this week will end with a homebrew.......

https://www.facebook.com/pourhousebrews
fpweeks is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #80
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dog House Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,011
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpweeks View Post
Brewhemoth just made my decision really easy.......
http://www.brewhemoth.com/black-friday-sale-25-1
That's a deal. Wish their lid was larger, may get one anyway.


__________________
Are You Going to Drink all That?
Dog House Brew is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conical fermenter thomasben All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 01-24-2013 01:39 AM
SS Conical fermenter I_B_Mongo Equipment/Sanitation 12 02-03-2011 10:19 AM
Help choosing a SS conical bakins Equipment/Sanitation 42 07-20-2010 10:40 AM
Conical fermenter Danny77 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 05-16-2010 02:54 PM
SS Conical Fermenter TXANM Equipment/Sanitation 4 05-25-2009 11:31 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS