Deceptions when you share your beer - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Deceptions when you share your beer

Old 11-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #31
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Liked 123 Times on 88 Posts

My bro-in-law invited a friend from his grad program over for Thanksgiving yesterday, and they came out into the backyard where I was BBQ'ing the turkey with a couple glasses of my nut brown ale. By BIL mentioned that I had brewed it and they guy was shocked. "Wow, this beer is fantastic!" Most of us switched to wine at dinner-time but he kept on with the homebrew, I was pretty gratified by how much he dug it. I get very generous with those who appreciate good beer, and quite stingy with those who don't...

Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #32
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2011
The Frozen Tundra, NY
Liked 1207 Times on 788 Posts

I've found that a lot of younger people seem to appreciate craft brews more than older people.

I throw a work party every summer. A lot of twenty-somethings show up. I put out homebrew and BMC. I go through a lot of hombrew, especially stouts and IPAs. They will try anything.

Most of my poker buddies generally stick to BMC. They're all my age.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #33
FoundationFunkwerks
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Waterville, Maine
Liked 12 Times on 4 Posts

*Door Shuts*
*Grab half full glasses*
*Drink*
*Remember to yourself next time...*
"...I only share my beer with my homebrewing / probrewing brethren."

www.facebook.com/foundationbrewerks

Old 11-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #34
jsv1204
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm
I get very generous with those who appreciate good beer, and quite stingy with those who don't...
Amen!

Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #35
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6696 Times on 3959 Posts

Meh.
  1. Not everyone likes what I like. I can accept that. If they don't like it, I hope they don't finish it. It is worse to be disingenuous than wasteful. And, false praise is a lie.
  2. Also, it's possible my beer is shat. In my experience (with other brewers), we deceive ourselves sometimes. We want to like our beer so much, after all we put into it, we are willing to overlook a lot. To quote the bard, "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds".

Old 11-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #36
drainbamage
Keep HBT weird.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Alexandria, KY
Liked 2613 Times on 1481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Meh.
  1. Not everyone likes what I like. I can accept that. If they don't like it, I hope they don't finish it. It is worse to be disingenuous than wasteful. And, false praise is a lie.
Exactly. If I make a crappy batch of beer, I'd rather be given some constructive criticism than:

*sip* (With Bitter Beer Face) "Yeah, it's um, really good. No thanks, I don't need another...I don't want to drink all your supply." *sneaks off to pour the rest down the drain*

Old 11-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #37
Lushife
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Red Bank, NJ
Liked 84 Times on 64 Posts

My dad is the only person who drinks my beer on the reg other than me and even if he doesn't particularly care for it he'll at least finish it. I also have an aunt and uncle who drink mostly craft beer so they get a six pack for Christmas sometimes.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #38
Gixxer
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Columbia, SC
Liked 126 Times on 105 Posts

You know it's good to read a thread like this every now and again. Reminds me of all the facts and solutions, and being proactive (whatever that means to you) to avoid folks wasting beer and/or folks saying something offensive without knowing it.
On Deck The Kaiser, Blue Moon, oatmeal porter

Old 11-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #39
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Liked 123 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
Exactly. If I make a crappy batch of beer, I'd rather be given some constructive criticism than:

*sip* (With Bitter Beer Face) "Yeah, it's um, really good. No thanks, I don't need another...I don't want to drink all your supply." *sneaks off to pour the rest down the drain*
I definitely agree with this. But again, it comes back to knowing your audience. If you give a RIS to someone who exclusively drinks and enjoys miller light, don't be surprised if they don't have a lot of nice things to say about it. That could be (a) because it tastes like poo, or (b) because they just don't like or aren't accustomed to the style. I find constructive criticism really helpful, as long as I have confidence that the person who is giving it is someone who is familiar with what the beer is "supposed to" taste like, and can point out ways that it comes up short. But getting blanket criticism from people who don't know a porter from a bitter from a saison from a bock doesn't really help improve your beer all too much.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #40
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville
Liked 1671 Times on 1251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Meh.
  2. Also, it's possible my beer is shat. In my experience (with other brewers), we deceive ourselves sometimes. We want to like our beer so much, after all we put into it, we are willing to overlook a lot. To quote the bard, "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds".
I seriously doubt that any of your beer is shat, but I take your point.

My Epic IIPA and Blacker than your soul Stout are beyond question. They turn out every time. My Pale Ale is pretty darned solid as well.

If I make something experimental, I am open to comments, but they are generally positive.

No, my problem is that people like my beer too much.

Big Halloween bash. 2 kegs of homebrew (Belgian strong, IIPA) and 52 bottles of my not quite so dark Stout, 24 pack of Miller Lite.

Drink whatever the Hell you want not gonna hurt my feelings.

Next morning, the only thing left was 13 Miller Lites.