Deceptions when you share your beer - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Deceptions when you share your beer

Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4854 Times on 3271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsv1204 View Post
Quote of the day!

There a few milder beers that I pull out when guests are around but they don't get the more extreme stuff unless they want it.

I've gone so far as telling one Natty Ice swiller to take his own crappy beer next time! Good natured, of course - he just wants his effervescent inebriators. I tell him all the time that vodka in club soda is a cheaper, more bland, and more effective inebriator that Natural Ice will ever be!
2 out of 3 ain't bad...

Old 11-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
CoalCracker

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Macungie, Pa
Liked 106 Times on 65 Posts

I've come to find there is only a certain number of people I will give my beer to. I've witnessed people say eww and proceed to dump it down the drain in front of me. This was a great beer, placed in competition and all. When I first started brewing I wanted EVERYONE to try my beer. Now after a few years I can give a Sh!t. I enjoy it and the majority of my friends do as well. Family is off limits. They can continue to drink their Bud Light.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
the Desert, CA
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts

I brew a lot of session beers. Those are the ones that everyone loves and can't get enough of. I brew IPA's and APA's and save those for myself. Everyone once in a while someone will ask about those and will only pour off a taster. If they like it, I pour them a whole glass.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
jperry
Recipes 

Jun 2012
SD, CA
Liked 148 Times on 111 Posts

I had a similar situation happen, My father wanted to have a few of my double dry-hopped ipa's (only homebrew, I had). I should have said no, when he wanted the beer ice cold. He asked for a frosty mug too. I was crushed. After all the work I put into this small batch, I vowed not to give him anymore of my ipa's. He just doesn't enjoy/deserve this style of beer. I learned to save them for myself.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #15
WhiteEagle1

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Spring Grove, IL
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I have a 4 Tap Keezer........ anytime I have friends over it seems the tap with the Blonde or Cream Ale is the only one that ever gets used. Used to feel bad that no one liked my good, more complex beers......but now just realize their the ones missing out.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
IffyG

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Nashville
Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirk View Post
Now I understand the prejudice against homebrewing, is not about the average homebrewer producing low quality beer is about people having a different concept about what beer is and how should it taste.
I hate to say it but your first problem was sharing an IPA. They are most decidedly an acquired taste and unless you know they enjoy hops, you are setting yourself up for what you experienced...

Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #17
45_70sharps

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Raymond, Washington
Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
I've come to find there is only a certain number of people I will give my beer to. I've witnessed people say eww and proceed to dump it down the drain in front of me. This was a great beer, placed in competition and all. When I first started brewing I wanted EVERYONE to try my beer. Now after a few years I can give a Sh!t. I enjoy it and the majority of my friends do as well. Family is off limits. They can continue to drink their Bud Light.
Funny you should say that.
I've got family that would love most any well made craft beer but I've also got family that I wouldn't waste a beer on.

Back in the 70's or early 80's they made generic beer. White can with black letters that said BEER. Generic was the rage at that time.
My dad actually drank that stuff! Not giving him my beer. Complete waste of a beer.
He wouldn't like it anyway.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #18
jerrodm
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Liked 123 Times on 88 Posts

Ouch, that really hurts.

I keep a couple cases of more mainstream commercial beers around to prevent just such catastrophes--the obligatory Red Stripes, Coronas and some Sam Adam's BLs for when people come over. If they ask to try the homebrew, I'll give them a drink of mine, and if they want a whole one I'm happy to oblige. But let's face it--homebrew is not everyone's cup of (barley) tea. Speaking for myself, homebrewing was my gateway to darker, more complex, more flavorful beers, not vice versa. And I try not to get down on people who don't dig my nut brown ale or my dunkle. I'm happy to share with those who want it, but I'd much rather give people beer they'll enjoy and save my stuff for those who really appreciate it. My sister in law doesn't like dark beers, but she'll drink the cream ale I make, and loves my ciders. Everybody's got their own thing.

And yes, I absolutely would have drunk those leftovers after the guests departed.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #19
Mike37
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I have to be pretty careful what beers I give my family.

My dad is the worst. He grew up with the cheapest of the cheap in the 60s and 70s and the coldest of the cold. I poured him a hoppy-ish dark irish red which was at 55 degrees. All he could say is that he can't drink warm beer. So I stick a couple bottles of blonde in the fridge for him. Most of my beers get an "it's okay" from him, so I unfortunately don't get to give him much.

My FIL is obsessed with Guinness. Anything "lighter" is bland and anything "heavier" is too much. He loves my milder stouts but he can't handle anything more flavorful than that.

My mom will try anything and will lie and say she likes it. She won't drink more than a few sips of anything.

My wife won't drink anything darker than 10 SRM but loves anything I make that looks light.

Finally, my cousin doesn't brew himself, but helps me brew and likes a wide array of beer. Luckily he "gets it" and I can share more with him.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
A pack of 2oz plastic cups are "must have" when company comes over.
Better.... I found sampler glasses for a quarter apiece. They have really thick glass, look like they are the same ones that restaurants use for holding tea lights. I have about 18 of them, stacked up. When people come over for beer tastings, I hand em out... They really come in handy, not just for group tastings, but for doing triangle tastings, and sampling different ratios of blends of whatever you happen to be doing at the time. They're also handy for measuring out your hop additions ahead of time.

OldBunny Likes This