Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Fan wiring?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
raouliii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ponchatoula, LA
Posts: 870
Liked 78 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyirishman34 View Post
All of the commercial coolers run the evaporator fan 100% of the time. My bev-Air cooler does that to keep the whole unit at a consistent temp.
My TRUE GDM-49 does the same in a stock setup, but I power the entire unit off/on via controller. Huge electric savings to only have the PC fan running and does a great job.
501irishred

I'm not understanding your huge savings.

The stock TRUE GDM evaporator fan motor draws about 9 watts. If run continuously, that's 216 watt-hours/day or 6.48 kilowatt-hours/month. At $0.15 / kilowatt-hour, that's only 97 cents per month. Two fans can run for less than $2 per month.

I'm not sure which fan you're using but a quick search of 110v pc fans show anywhere from 6 to 13 watts.
__________________
On Tap:
Second Amendment Amber
Nada
Ponchy Pale Ale - Falconer's Flight
NippleRub Ultra

In the Chamber:
Rearranger IPA

Next Up:
NippleRub Ultra (Light Lager w/Mexican Lager yeast)
raouliii is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #12
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
501irishred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 1,250
Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
501irishred

I'm not understanding your huge savings.

The stock TRUE GDM evaporator fan motor draws about 9 watts. If run continuously, that's 216 watt-hours/day or 6.48 kilowatt-hours/month. At $0.15 / kilowatt-hour, that's only 97 cents per month. Two fans can run for less than $2 per month.

I'm not sure which fan you're using but a quick search of 110v pc fans show anywhere from 6 to 13 watts.
Well that's embarrassing. Save a penny, earn a penny?

Even if my math was better, and I'd have run the numbers myself, I'd still have run it this way for simplicity. (had to make myself feel better somehow)
501irishred is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #13
crazyirishman34
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 65 reviews
 
crazyirishman34's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 1,688
Liked 78 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default

Mine has the remote condenser so it is wired seperatly from the the fan.
crazyirishman34 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
raouliii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ponchatoula, LA
Posts: 870
Liked 78 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
Well that's embarrassing. Save a penny, earn a penny?

Even if my math was better, and I'd have run the numbers myself, I'd still have run it this way for simplicity. (had to make myself feel better somehow)
Not meant to embarrass. I have a GDM-10 ferm chamber and a GDM-12 keg cooler. I ran the numbers a while back to see what that constant air circulation was costing me. In the end, I figured it was worth $2 a month. It's the compressor that draws over 90% of the power usage. When I'm not using the ferm chamber, I block the door open and let the evaporator fan dry everything out for a day and then I unplug it.
__________________
On Tap:
Second Amendment Amber
Nada
Ponchy Pale Ale - Falconer's Flight
NippleRub Ultra

In the Chamber:
Rearranger IPA

Next Up:
NippleRub Ultra (Light Lager w/Mexican Lager yeast)
raouliii is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #15
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
501irishred's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Posts: 1,250
Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
Not meant to embarrass. I have a GDM-10 ferm chamber and a GDM-12 keg cooler. I ran the numbers a while back to see what that constant air circulation was costing me. In the end, I figured it was worth $2 a month. It's the compressor that draws over 90% of the power usage. When I'm not using the ferm chamber, I block the door open and let the evaporator fan dry everything out for a day and then I unplug it.
No worries, I'm always (most always?) willing to listen to reason!
501irishred is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #16
Sebas83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 188
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for. Wasn't confident running a fan or two one way or another. Good input!
Sebas83 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keezer Collar Temp Controller Wiring & Fan Wiring Questions. Revvy Kegerators and Keezers 12 09-23-2012 01:21 PM
wiring help kshuler Electric Brewing 2 11-03-2011 03:50 PM
Help w/ wiring (so I don't die) Twang Electric Brewing 10 04-15-2011 07:58 PM
Need wiring help janitorjerm Kegerators and Keezers 43 09-10-2010 03:39 AM
Another HLT wiring Q? ol' rummie Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 0 11-24-2009 12:26 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS