Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How do I avoid over-carbonating my beer?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
lhommedieu
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Default How do I avoid over-carbonating my beer?

I kegged my beer last night in a corny keg, by sealing the lid at 30 psi and then lowering the psi to 15. The beer is in the fridge at 35 degrees F with the CO2 attached.

I won't be back to my house for 3 days and was wondering if I have set the psi to the correct pressure? Should I merely start tasting the beer after 3 days at 15 psi and disconnect the CO2 once it's reached the desired level of carbonation, or is there a formula for computing psi/volume/temperature/time?

Best,

Steve

Old 11-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Yeah I'd just leave it on the gas cold generally take about a week or two to reach good carbonation but you won't over carb that way.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
gcdowd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The pressure you set will depend on the temp the beer is at and the volumes of CO2 you want. I do the set and forget method and keep mine to 10 psi

Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
bioguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Here's a table that will help.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
gcdowd
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguy
Here's a table that will help.
Good chart. I have the same chart printed one out and taped to the side of my kegerator

Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
lhommedieu
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Thanks for the chart.

I'm interpreting it to mean that if I want to carbonate my Irish Red Ale at 2.47, then I set my psi at 10 if the temperature is 36 degrees F.

From what I've read so far it should take about 2 weeks to fully carbonate - is that correct? Is there any way of computing exactly how long it should take given "x" amount of beer? lol - I guess you can figure out that I'd like to taste the beer. It'd had been in the primary for 4 weeks, so I don't think that it's green.

Best,

Steve

Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
bioguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
Thanks for the chart.

I'm interpreting it to mean that if I want to carbonate my Irish Red Ale at 2.47, then I set my psi at 10 if the temperature is 36 degrees F.

From what I've read so far it should take about 2 weeks to fully carbonate - is that correct? Is there any way of computing exactly how long it should take given "x" amount of beer? lol - I guess you can figure out that I'd like to taste the beer. It'd had been in the primary for 4 weeks, so I don't think that it's green.

Best,

Steve
You are reading it correctly. I can never wait either, so I use a mix of set and forget and force carbonation. I cool the beer down in the fridge over night. Then I attach the gas and dial the pressure up to 30 psi, lay the keg on its side and rock it back and forth with my foot until I can't hear bubbles going in any more. Then I sit the thing upright and disconnect the gas and attach a tap. Bleed off pressure and then tap a pitcher of foam (usually winds up being about a pint). This usually brings the pressure under 10 psi. Then I attach the gas at the pressure on the chart overnight. It is good to go the next day.