Other insomniacs? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Other insomniacs?

Old 11-18-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts

Anyone else here lucky to get 20 hrs of sleep a week? I have a small bakery and sell at farmers markets. When I'm busy, I don't have time to sleep much. Now that I have time to sleep, I can't seem to remember how. My wife having to get up at 5 on a rotating schedule doesn't help. My brain is turning into mush. At least that means I won't have to drink so much, but then what am I going to do with all this homebrew?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #2

I get around 5-6 hours per night, and am usually out the door around 6 am.

I heard a good podcast on sleep, the author being interviewed suggested that the notion of 8 hours of sleep in a row is a relatively new idea and not necessarily what we are 'meant' to do. I find that I never sleep 7-8 hours in a row, but I do sometimes get up after four or five, do something quiet for an hour (say read HBT or listen to a podcast) and then go back to sleep for an hour.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
masskrug
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2012
, Florida
Liked 217 Times on 148 Posts

I usually rise at 4-5 AM. I love the quiet of the morning.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_
I get around 5-6 hours per night, and am usually out the door around 6 am.

I heard a good podcast on sleep, the author being interviewed suggested that the notion of 8 hours of sleep in a row is a relatively new idea and not necessarily what we are 'meant' to do. I find that I never sleep 7-8 hours in a row, but I do sometimes get up after four or five, do something quiet for an hour (say read HBT or listen to a podcast) and then go back to sleep for an hour.
Maybe it was on Fresh Air? I think i heard that interview. First sleep and second sleep with a nice break in between. If I'd go back to sleep, I'd be golden. To compound my suffering, my wife could be the world champion of sleep.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Maybe it was on Fresh Air? I think i heard that interview. First sleep and second sleep with a nice break in between. If I'd go back to sleep, I'd be golden. To compound my suffering, my wife could be the world champion of sleep.
Yes, that was it. Sometimes I'll play an old Brew Strong episode and after ten minutes of those guys talking about flocculation, I'm fast asleep

I'm kidding, I love Brew Strong, but I do find it helpful to get back to sleep if I have some podcast going.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

I'm all over the place. Not really an insomniac, but definitely not an 8hr guy. I work nights and try to sleep normal on my days off, but it always a crap shoot!

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3705 Times on 3178 Posts

I spent my working life on all 3 shifts at Ford for 31 years. By the time I retired,I have insomnia & sleep apnia. What a pain. I sometimes take till very early dawn to finally fall asleep. Dr does nothing. Feelin a bit like Freddy Flame out now...
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
BoomerHarley
Recipes 

Jun 2012
oakland, ca
Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts

I have insomnia. I wake up several times a night and then it is almost impossible for me to get back to sleep. I then start getting all worked up because I am not sleeping and lay in bed all angry about the fact that I can't sleep. I wish I was smart enough to just get up and do something.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #9
edds5p0
Recipes 

Sep 2012
Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
I'm all over the place. Not really an insomniac, but definitely not an 8hr guy. I work nights and try to sleep normal on my days off, but it always a crap shoot!
I spent about 3 years of my life doing rotating shifts, if you're anything like me, you don't have a sleep pattern established at all.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012

Since I started this thread, I've had two solid nights of sleep got almost 5 hrs the first night and almost 7 in two sections last night. So chances are ill be back on the couch when I wake up at 1am, but at least I've got half the grain crushed to brew.