Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Milling Grain by Hand?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
cascades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I asked the same question back when I switched to all grain and was told hand cranking would suck. I use a standard corona mill (appropriately adjusted for the proper gap) and it is a lot of work to be sure. I sweat every time I do it but I actually enjoy it. I usually do a pound or two per arm then switch. Takes me around 30 min for 10 pounds give or take. FWIW, I'm glad I ignored the advice to go with an expensive model but I also realize most people don't enjoy that kind of thing.

Editing this post to say that I timed myself tonight and it actually only took 12 min. for 10 pounds.

People Like This 
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
Mumbly
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larso
Hi, I'm considering getting a crankandstein 2S. Just wondering if any of you guys mill grain by hand and how long it takes. My drill is crap and I dont want to buy a new one just yet.

Thanks

L
I did 2 batches by hand with a corona. Luckily my friend had an ancient craftsman drill laying around that took up the job. The corona has been upgraded to a Cereal killer, which is used for the big batches. The corona is now used for the 1 gallon batches and I still don't look forward to hand cranking even 3 pounds in it. Do yourself a favor, I know a lot of people recommend the cheap harbor freight drill.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2

Yeah sounds very different from the normal BC/MM/C&S mills... and very very awesome!
Do you start cranking that thing to get the rollers going and then drop the grain in?
The fly wheel effect is not that strong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121120_092917.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	84780

Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I did the handcrank on my Barley Crusher for 2 brews and they were 5G session beers. After milling 15# of grain for a larger beer, I ordered a drill before next brew day. Just too much work.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 550 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

+1 for doing it by hand. Just feels right. But do what you like. If you like the drill, go for it.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
Whattawort
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I feel like I do more for the beer by handcranking the crush with my Corona. I also like the control of the grind I get since every grain is a little bit different. It's also a nice initiation for the new brewers that come over.

“For a quart of Ale is a dish for a king.”
― William Shakespeare

Old 11-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #17
Chemkrafty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

All I hear is blah blah blah, I'm a pu$$y! Just teasin' folks, but I do like the exercise of the handcranking myself.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #18
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I'll go against the grain on the above thoughts.. (pun intended)

I don't have the same grain mill as you, I have a Barley Crusher. I truly enjoy hand grinding the grain. When I first got the BC I used a drill. Later I started grinding by hand. In my experience the crush is better, my effeciency better and I've ground 17lbs in maybe 15-20 minutes. I didn't time it. To each their own, I enjoy manually hand grinding. It really is not hard to do, usually do the night before I brew. It's like foreplay to brewing.
I'm with you on this Dan. I enjoy doing double decoctions too and I'm going to do a triple decoction for a Boh Pils just as soon as I can get the ingredients. I also condition the malt with a spray bottle and about 4 or 5 oz of water beforehand and the crush is that much better because all the husks have gotten rubbery and not pulverized. I just enjoy the whole process and it never been a chore to me.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I'll go against the grain on the above thoughts.. (pun intended)

I don't have the same grain mill as you, I have a Barley Crusher. I truly enjoy hand grinding the grain. When I first got the BC I used a drill. Later I started grinding by hand. In my experience the crush is better, my effeciency better and I've ground 17lbs in maybe 15-20 minutes. I didn't time it. To each their own, I enjoy manually hand grinding. It really is not hard to do, usually do the night before I brew. It's like foreplay to brewing.
I picture Dan standing there at his mill, turning the crank with one hand and smoking a pipe with the other, probably in a smoking jacket, staring into the distance and serenely contemplating the beauty of life. Probably his zen moment for the evening.

Actually, I've been planning forever to get a corona mill and crank by hand too, just been too lazy to order it. I really need to do so...

Old 11-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
LuiInIdaho
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My very first time using my Barley Crusher I used the hand crank. (Of course, the hand crank came with the mill and was not an extra cost item.) After having tried that, I decided to use the drill. I know many people use cordless drills. I use a corded drill. What I find to be more important is that you use a drill with a keyless chuck. This way you can easily attach and detach the drill from the mill. Having said this, I must admit that I purchased two drills so that I could set one up to drill holes, and the other to drive the screws when I am doing woodworking projects. Makr