full boils on kitchen gas stove - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > full boils on kitchen gas stove

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
SpeedYellow
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 1,409
Liked 169 Times on 143 Posts


Just use two 5-gallons pots on your stove. I've done this for years. Saves money in pot expense too, since 5g are so cheap.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
scottab
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
hawthorne, nj
Posts: 347
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
Just use two 5-gallons pots on your stove. I've done this for years. Saves money in pot expense too, since 5g are so cheap.
Do you split your wort or do you boil top off water in one and the other is wort?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,882
Liked 254 Times on 196 Posts


I have the typical GE coil stove and yes, it is possible to do a full five gallon boil, even a 90 min boil with 6.5 gallons starting but it will take a long, long time to reach boil. I went for broke one time and did a 6 gallon batch in an 8 gallon kettle with a 7.5 gallon pre-boil volume with a 90 minute boil. I used a second pot to get some of the wort boiling and then added that to the kettle but it still took about 90 minutes to reach boil. I literally went for broke because the weight and hours of heat melted the housing on the connector that powers the coil and shorted the coil and switch. Had to replace the coil, switch and wire harness. Ever since all my batches over three gallons go outside on the turkey fryer I bought shortly afterwards.

Some people have said they can't reach a full boil on a coil stove so the answer for your particular stove may be no. However, for many stoves they do make a canning element that handles more heat and has better support to hold up a heavier kettle. If your stove can accept one of these then you may be able to boil a full batch without fear of blowing out your stove like I did. When I looked into it I found my particular GE model does not support the canning element.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
scottab
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
hawthorne, nj
Posts: 347
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster

Some people have said they can't reach a full boil on a coil stove so the answer for your particular stove may be no. However, for many stoves they do make a canning element that handles more heat and has better support to hold up a heavier kettle. If your stove can accept one of these then you may be able to boil a full batch without fear of blowing out your stove like I did. When I looked into it I found my particular GE model does not support the canning element.
Since i have a gas range no worries about coils

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
SpeedYellow
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 1,409
Liked 169 Times on 143 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by scottab

Do you split your wort or do you boil top off water in one and the other is wort?
I simply split my wort into roughly equal portions, and of course split the hops too. So it's exactly like any other all grain brewer does, just using 2 pots. Heats up really quickly too!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:09 AM   #16
jwalker1140
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Glendale, CA
Posts: 571
Liked 55 Times on 42 Posts


I have a GE Profile gas range that has a 'power boil' burner that, I think, is rated at 15k btus. I assume this will bring 6-7 gallons to boil in an aluminum pot. Can anyone confirm?

I currently boil 4+ in a 5-gal pot, and it does this without much trouble. Would like to step up to full wort boils.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
zachattack
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
, MA
Posts: 2,767
Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140 View Post
I have a GE Profile gas range that has a 'power boil' burner that, I think, is rated at 15k btus. I assume this will bring 6-7 gallons to boil in an aluminum pot. Can anyone confirm?

I currently boil 4+ in a 5-gal pot, and it does this without much trouble. Would like to step up to full wort boils.
You should be fine. Like others mentioned, it'll take a while to boil.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do full boils make that much of a difference over partial boils? Oldbrew75 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 55 12-28-2012 05:42 PM
Largest Pot for Kitchen Stove? greenfrog5 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 24 11-29-2010 01:47 AM
Full boils on the stove top Honus Extract Brewing 10 11-13-2009 12:57 PM
New Kitchen Brew Stove? Fungo Equipment/Sanitation 3 01-25-2009 05:47 PM
anyone full boil on a kitchen stove squeekysheep Equipment/Sanitation 15 07-16-2008 06:40 PM


Forum Jump