Originally Posted by ajf
I ran each of those grain bills through ProMash and adjusted the efficiency settings to obtain the expected gravity and your actual gravity assuming a 5 gallon batch.
Here are the results:
- Efficiency of 71% would give 1.053. Efficiency of 59% would give 1.044
- Efficiency of 60% would give 1.053. Efficiency of 68% would give 1.060
- Efficiency of 68% gives 1.050
- Efficiency of 75% would give 1.053. Efficiency of 63% would give 1.044
It seems that your efficiencies (which vary over 9 percentage points) are more consistent than the batches (which vary over 15 percentage points).
Are you sure that the recipies are all for the same batch size - especially recipe 2?
For batch 1 (where you got 59% efficiency) there is a substantial amount of wheat. As wheat grains ares smaller than barley, they may need to be milled with a smaller gap than barley (or milled twice). This could possibly explain why you only got 59% efficiency on batch 1.
Batches 2 and 3, you got 68% efficiency, but I cannot see any reason why reason why your efficiency dropped to 63% on batch 4.
Thanks for running that through, I am certain that each of these recipes is for a 5 gallon batch. I was told by AHS that all of their recipes assume a 75% efficiency. I guess that is not true.
I think batch 1 could have been so low because it was my first all-grain and I made some mistakes. In batch 4 I didn't hit my mash temperature exactly (and had to add hot water once it heated on my stove), so that could be the cause for the 5% drop. I think in the future when I build my recipes I will assume a 68% efficiency.
I wish AHS had a way for me to say what my efficiency was and they would adjust my grain bill appropriately. I have to buy the kit first to get the recipe so running through BeerSmith or ProMash is impossible (so that I could order exactly the amount of grains I need).