FirstGear Thermo and a Scorpion EXO-900. - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > FirstGear Thermo and a Scorpion EXO-900.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Zuljin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Defiance
Posts: 25,810
Liked 5519 Times on 4670 Posts


I wear a Mossy Oak fleece balaclava. I've worn a bandana bandit style too. Balaclava is warmer. Bandana is more comfortable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Have you ever had decent sex that didn't involve shoving a foot somewhere? Didn't think so. :drunk:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 59,195
Liked 7677 Times on 6273 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
I wear a Mossy Oak fleece balaclava. I've worn a bandana bandit style too. Balaclava is warmer. Bandana is more comfortable.
I have a fleece/poly balaclava. It's too stretchy on the head (poly)while putting on a helmet and too foofy from the neck down (fleece). It's the kind that is meant to go under your jacket and cover a portion of your chest, shoulder, and back.

It does okay keeping the air off. I just can't help but to think there is something better, and easier to wear without having to adjust it a bunch to get it to fit right while gearing up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
TowsonTiger22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TowsonTiger22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Baltimore
Posts: 10,107
Liked 2015 Times on 1940 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I have a fleece/poly balaclava. It's too stretchy on the head (poly)while putting on a helmet and too foofy from the neck down (fleece). It's the kind that is meant to go under your jacket and cover a portion of your chest, shoulder, and back.

It does okay keeping the air off. I just can't help but to think there is something better, and easier to wear without having to adjust it a bunch to get it to fit right while gearing up.
i put it on, zip up the thermo, and done.
__________________
Primary: None
Secondary: Nothing there either
Kegged: Porter, Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 AM   #14
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 59,195
Liked 7677 Times on 6273 Posts


Still have to get used to the pressure of the helmet on my cheeks but so far, I am liking it. Nowhere near as much drag on my head at speed. Sounds are muffled compared to my other helmet but still perfectly audible. Wind noise is drastically reduced.

edit: This morning was extremely foggy. I'd say no more than 1 mile visibility in some spots. Wore a bright blue jacket to improve my visibility. despite all the fog in the air no fog accumulated on the inside of the helmet. There was a moist, sort of, sheet. Not foggy but a little bit distorted like looking through a thin sheet of water.

Periphial vision on the helmet is good too.

I dunno what else to tell you Z. That's my best report. You have any specific questions?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 59,195
Liked 7677 Times on 6273 Posts


Okay, I've used this helmet for a few days now and I can say I aam thrilled with it.

The only thing I wish were different about it is the color. I got the black and wish I had gotten the Yellow.

In fact, I am going to see if there are any partners in town, or try to work it out otherwise so I can make an exchange.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
Bedlam
 
Bedlam's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
East Tennessee
Posts: 1,021
Liked 54 Times on 37 Posts


El Hubbo and I have worn Scorpion helmets for years. I think you just can't get a bigger bang for your buck. Right now I have the EXO 500 and love the flip down sun visor. I'm in love with the sun visor and can't imagine not having it now. Works like a charm! Scorpion also has the best anti-fog treatment, I think. It lasts quite a while.
__________________
-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 59,195
Liked 7677 Times on 6273 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
El Hubbo and I have worn Scorpion helmets for years. I think you just can't get a bigger bang for your buck. Right now I have the EXO 500 and love the flip down sun visor. I'm in love with the sun visor and can't imagine not having it now. Works like a charm! Scorpion also has the best anti-fog treatment, I think. It lasts quite a while.
I am still adjusting to the sensation of having my cheeks mashed in by the chops of this helmet style but, so far, I am sold on Scorpion too. Big change for me going from open face to full face I suppose and it'll take some time to get the liner "broken in" to the shape of my head.

I did swap the Black for the Neon Yellow.

First time wearing it was on todays ride in and a cop pulled up next to me and started going on about the conspicuity of the color. Said I "was the first thing he spotted on highway from a mile away..."

And just before the light changed to green he warned me to not let him "catch me doing 80mph to pass a car again". Whoops. And, .

Only other odd thing was all the condesation inside the helmet. The sheild stayed absolutely clear the entire time but when I got to work and flipped the sheild up, before taking the helmet off, it was dripping from condensation. Ewww.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bad Thermo, Bad Mash, still ok? coastwx All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 03-07-2010 01:44 AM
Thermo Calculations OEHokie Brew Science 0 01-09-2010 08:02 PM
Thermo + Sightglass? slykwilli Equipment/Sanitation 5 04-21-2009 11:41 PM
I need a digital thermo Mustangfreak Equipment/Sanitation 2 03-05-2009 11:35 PM
thermo in keggle?? givemaboot Equipment/Sanitation 11 02-13-2009 02:01 PM


Forum Jump