Innacurate Hydrometer - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Innacurate Hydrometer
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #1
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
wobrien's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA
Posts: 5,067
Liked 1817 Times on 1220 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Default Innacurate Hydrometer

I was skeptical of a FG reading on my Irish Stout at bottling so I took a reading of water at 60F and it read 1.005. It is the basic triple scale hydrometer that came with my first brewing kit. Can I just subtract 5 points from all readings, or do I need a new hydrometer? Is there a more accurate hydrometer if I get a new one?


__________________
Olde Glory Brewing Co.
wobrien is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
bobbrewedit
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: , California
Posts: 296
Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Look into getting a refractometer...you wont regret it. I would probably just get a new hydrometer if not. Also, use distilled water to check your current one before you write it off as being bad. Dissolved salts and other compounds are measured by the hydrometer as well and may be noticable in your tap water.


bobbrewedit is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Brulosopher
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,907
Liked 353 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobrien
I was skeptical of a FG reading on my Irish Stout at bottling so I took a reading of water at 60F and it read 1.005. It is the basic triple scale hydrometer that came with my first brewing kit. Can I just subtract 5 points from all readings, or do I need a new hydrometer? Is there a more accurate hydrometer if I get a new one?
Toss it and get a new one. Refractometers are great, though I still use a hydro to verify FG (I like tasting it&#128521.
__________________
Brulosophy is a place to experiment with home brews. If you've had a crazy idea or wondered how something worked please visit us at Brulosophy.com!

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott
Brulosopher is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: charlottesville, va
Posts: 408
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobrien View Post
I was skeptical of a FG reading on my Irish Stout at bottling so I took a reading of water at 60F and it read 1.005. It is the basic triple scale hydrometer that came with my first brewing kit. Can I just subtract 5 points from all readings, or do I need a new hydrometer? Is there a more accurate hydrometer if I get a new one?
the scale is linear, so yes, you can just subtract 0.005 from your readings
mb2696 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
wobrien's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA
Posts: 5,067
Liked 1817 Times on 1220 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Default

I'll try a reading in distilled water when I get a chance. Not ready to spend the money for a refractometer, but there has to be a more accurate hydrometer, no? I feel like the paper glued inside the tube could easily shift.
__________________
Olde Glory Brewing Co.
wobrien is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 24,852
Liked 6332 Times on 3749 Posts
Likes Given: 5513

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2696 View Post
the scale is linear, so yes, you can just subtract 0.005 from your readings
Nope. It is not linear. The error can become greater as the gravity increases. I've done some signficant testing on this. I'll find the results and post, but I have (had) 3 hydrometers and one of them was bad.

Throw the hydrometer away.

[edit]

Conclusion: Hydro #2 got thrown away. It had error that was definitely NOT linear. Measured same samples with a refractometer and 3 hydrometers. The data:
Refractometer: Water: 1.000 Test Solution: 1.100 (as much as I could discern the fine lines)
Hydro 1: Water: 1.000 Test Solution: 1.101
Hydro 2: Water: 1.002 Test Solution: 1.111
Hydro 3: Water: 1.000 Test Solution: 1.100
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
zeg
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Lafayette, IN
Posts: 1,216
Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default

Whether it's linear or not will depend on why it's inaccurate. If it's because the paper with the scale on it has shifted inside the glass tube, then it'll just be an offset. If it's because the tube is the wrong diameter (or is not cylindrical), then it will be more than an offset (though not necessarily nonlinear---if it were conical instead of cylindrical, it'd be linear, but not just an offset).
zeg is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: charlottesville, va
Posts: 408
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
Whether it's linear or not will depend on why it's inaccurate. If it's because the paper with the scale on it has shifted inside the glass tube, then it'll just be an offset. If it's because the tube is the wrong diameter (or is not cylindrical), then it will be more than an offset (though not necessarily nonlinear---if it were conical instead of cylindrical, it'd be linear, but not just an offset).
Great point zeg -- thank you for pointing that out. 1) I was misapplying the term linear and 2) I hadn't even thought of the shape of the glass!
mb2696 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
bioguy
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 172
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default

You're only off by 5 points. My bet is that it is due to dissolved stuff in your water. Distilled water should read spot on, but not tap water. Get a second hydrometer and see if the readings match.

You could standardize it by dissolving sugar in water at different concentrations and then seeing what the specific gravity reads. I suppose that's a lot of work for a $5 item.

If all you are interested in is determining %abv, that's calculated by the difference of two readings. If the hydrometer is off in the same direction (systematic error), the errors should cancel when subtracting. I'd be more concerned if I had 2 hydrometers that read differently than each other than if my single hydrometer read off what I expected.
bioguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: charlottesville, va
Posts: 408
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Nope. It is not linear. The error can become greater as the gravity increases. I've done some signficant testing on this. I'll find the results and post, but I have (had) 3 hydrometers and one of them was bad.

Throw the hydrometer away.

[edit]

Conclusion: Hydro #2 got thrown away. It had error that was definitely NOT linear. Measured same samples with a refractometer and 3 hydrometers. The data:
Refractometer: Water: 1.000 Test Solution: 1.100 (as much as I could discern the fine lines)
Hydro 1: Water: 1.000 Test Solution: 1.101
Hydro 2: Water: 1.002 Test Solution: 1.111
Hydro 3: Water: 1.000 Test Solution: 1.100
I did misspeak by saying that since it's linear it's just an offset.

However, for the reasons zeg pointed out, just because "the error can become greater as the gravity increases" does not mean it is not linear. It could simply be that the glass is the wrong diameter in which case the correction would be a scaling AND offset, which is still linear.

In your experiment I would agree that it looks like the correction for hydro 2 it not simply an offset. However, this does not mean that a hydro should be thrown out if it doesn't read 1.000 in water. You need a second high-ish gravity verification solution (like what you've done). On the other hand, it's $5 for a new one, so maybe it's not worth the time?


mb2696 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hydrometer w/ pic humble17 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 01-02-2012 07:47 PM
reading a hydrometer and hydrometer vs. refractometer deanocamino Brew Science 12 09-15-2011 09:04 PM
If I got an innacurate OG ddwill Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 08-17-2011 12:49 PM
Hydrometer way off- or is it me? Docapi Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 11-15-2008 03:56 PM
Hydrometer help... mikeyc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-08-2007 04:55 PM


Forum Jump